This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I am a firm believer in the value of procrastination.

Studies have shown that, in general, those who procrastinate do so because they are afraid of failure. Most procrastinators are intelligent, over-achieving students. When one of these over-achieving students procrastinates, it is a survival strategy. If they put off writing a story for a creative writing class, then they can blame the story’s mediocrity on the short amount of time they had to write it, in what psychologists call self-handicapping. This is the exact opposite of popular conceptions of procrastinators; the general assumption is that they are simply lazy people who have no interest in doing work. While there is certainly a subset of procrastinators who are like this, it is not true for all.

In the high-stress world of academia, procrastination can actually be helpful. If done in the right way, procrastination can be a tool to lower stress levels and allow students to perform better. I call this form of procrastination “productive procrastination.” The productive label is justified by the benefit to students. Whether they spend half an hour to watch an episode of their favorite TV show, clean their room, or take a nap, these activities allow their brains to focus on something other than schoolwork. Subconsciously, though, the brain continues to problem solve. Afterwards, students feel rejuvenated and ready to apply themselves to a difficult assignment or study for an exam. In order to produce this result, however, the procrastination must be employed productively; otherwise, it induces self-pity and fits of complaining. If students use their procrastination time well, they will have a fresh perspective on their work and will feel better equipped to complete it.

Students search for themselves amongst piles of graded papers and exams, but they will never recognize themselves in this form. It is difficult to remember that their grades do not define who they are. Expectations from parents and professors complicate this because they often make it seem as though grades do determine a lot about a person, especially future accomplishments. But only focusing on grades and not the process that results in those grades is a deleterious mindset. It heightens the pressure on intelligent, capable students until it is crippling. Coupling this with the shaming of those who procrastinate as a coping mechanism is a dangerous thing.

As students, we have the right to procrastinate productively. There should be no shame in taking some time for yourself to relax and feel as though you have the energy to get through finals. If you’re unsure of activities that will qualify as productive procrastination, check out this article! So, during this stressful finals week, if you ever feel as though your workload is too much to bear, procrastinate proudly!

Images: theithacan.org, duffmcduffee.com

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.