No-Shame Movie Review: ‘Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure is an absolutely ridiculous movie. The main plot is two idiots, Bill and Ted (Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter), kidnapping historical figures as they travel through time, all in the name of passing their history class. The stakes? Ted might have to go to military school. And, you know, they might not form a band that will be the basis of a future, utopian society. Doesn’t that just sound like a great movie in the making?

This is the kind of movie that you just have to go with. Abandon all concepts of logic, and just accept it when Napoleon goes bowling or Joan of Arc teaches jazzercise. If you try to take this movie seriously, then you’ll have an absolutely miserable time. It’s supposed to be idiotic. Have some fun.

Practically every line in this movie is a joke. There are elaborate gags and complex jokes, yes, but even in setting those up, Bill and Ted still manage to be hilarious. Unless your heart is made out of coal, you’ll be laughing from start to finish.

For a movie with two truly stupid main characters, Bill and Ted is an awfully clever movie. It most explicitly connects to history (duh), but also weaves in current pop culture at almost every turn. (Well current for when it was made, aka the 80s). One of my personal favorite references is to Doctor Who – they travel through time in a phone booth that is exactly the same size on the inside. Lacking that Time Lord technology ends up being a bit of a problem once they’ve picked up close to a dozen companions. (I apologize if you don’t understand the reference, but I’m not sorry enough to explain it. Watch Doctor Who.)

If I’m being completely honest, all I really have to say about this movie can be summed up in two simple sentences: It’s funny. Watch it.

And there we have it. Just a few of the reasons that you should not be ashamed to watch and enjoy Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure. If you have any ideas for a movie that you want me to review, then let me know! Bad, fun, silly, adorable, enjoyable, romantic, anything that you shouldn’t be ashamed to watch and love! (Bonus cookies if it’s also on Netflix.)

Paige is a senior psychology major at Kenyon College. Next year, she plans on attending graduate school to receive a Master's of Library Science. She just bought a plant for her dorm room and named him Alfred.