Movies to Watch When You Want to Avoid Your Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

The holiday season is near! We are wrapping up finals, crying just a little bit, drinking an exorbitant amount of coffee––all in the pursuit of getting on a plane and cuddling in our beds with our cats. I haven’t been home at all since I came to Kenyon and my parents didn’t come for Parents Weekend, so I fully plan on soaking up all the love from my parents, my brothers, my friends and my cat.

However, I also know that coming home from college for a month can be difficult; you’re so used to having your freedom and now you’re under your parents’ roof and rules again. So, my favorite way to escape from my family for a bit is to take a jaunt to the movie theatre or snuggle up with Apple TV and Netflix and chill by myself. Now, at this time of year, we are being inundated with Christmas movies and Hallmark specials; thus, I wanted to offer a list of non-Christmas movies, both in theatres and on Netflix.

In theaters:

(Note: Limited generally means only in big cities, primarily LA, NYC and Boston)

La La Land

In theaters: December 9th (limited), December 16th (nationwide)

Stars: Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling

This is the frontrunner for best picture at the Oscars and it’s a MUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSIIIICAAALL!

Jackie

In theaters: December 9th (limited)

Stars: Natalie Portman and Peter Sarsgaard

My body is too ready for this movie. I love the idea of Jackie Kennedy being played by Natalie Portman and she looks just like her in the trailer.

Rogue One

In theaters: December 16th

Stars: Felicity Jones and Mads Mikkelsen

I need a Star Wars movie every single year. I love Felicity Jones and I’m so excited because of a) Stars Wars and b) lady power.

The Founder

In theaters: December 16th (limited), January 20th (nationwide)

Stars: Michael Keaton and Nick Offerman

I never thought I would want a movie about the founding of McDonald’s, but now that it’s starring Michael Keaton and Nick Offerman without a moustache, I need it.

Collateral Beauty

In theaters: December 16th (limited)

Stars: Will Smith and Kate Winslet

I started crying when this preview showed before Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Will Smith’s acting looks incredible just from the preview. Besides, Keira Knightley is playing the character of “Love” and that’s just perfect casting.

Passengers

In theaters: December 21

Stars: Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence

Okay, full disclosure: I’m not personally super excited for this film, but I know this film will be an enjoyable watch for a lot of people. Also, Chris Pratt keeps cropping Jennifer Lawrence out of all his Instagram photos, which is giving me life.

Patriot’s Day

In theaters: December 21 (limited), January 13 (nationwide)

Stars: Mark Wahlberg and J.K. Simmons

I need J.K. Simmons to be in every movie ever; I’ve been missing him since Whiplash. I also really, really like cop movies.

Sing

In theaters: December 21

Voiced by: Scarlett Johansson and Matthew McConaughey

Okay, so when I saw the original preview for this movie on TV, I wrote it off as animal version of American Idol. But when I saw the cinematic trailer before Fantastic Beasts, I got a little teary eyed! There are some real issues brought up in this film and I honestly think it’s going to be excellent.

A Monster Calls

In theaters: December 21 (limited), January 6 (nationwide)

Stars: Liam Neeson and Felicity Jones

I didn’t realize this was a high fantasy film until I started doing some research. I’m not a huge Neeson fan, but the previews and posters look stunning.

I, Daniel Blake

In theaters: December 23 (limited), January 6 (nationwide)

Stars: Dave Johns and Hayley Squires

This film won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, but hasn’t received much attention in the United States. It’s a political film about the welfare system and cutting through bureaucratic red tape.

Silence

In theaters: December 23 (limited)

Stars: Andrew Garfield and Liam Neeson

Yes! Martin Scorsese is back and not with a movie about a homophobic and sexist douchebag played by Leonardo DiCaprio. It’s also his passion project about two 17th century missionaries in Japan.

Fences

In theaters: December 25

Stars: Denzel Washington and Viola Davis

Oh boy, Denzel. Fences is one of my favorite plays; it’s killer. It plays upon a lot of sports themes, but is really a story of class.

Hidden Figures

In theaters: December 25 (limited), January 6 (nationwide)

Stars: Taraji P. Henson and Octavia Spencer

It’s crazy that this is a story we never talk or learn about. It’s essentially the story of a how a team of black women created one of the first computers for NASA.

Live by Night

In theaters: December 25 (limited), January 13 (nationwide)

Stars: Ben Affleck and Elle Fanning

I honestly find Ben Affleck to be a better director than actor. It’s a gangster movie and gun are a-blazin’ but they’re also in the 1920s so everyone is super well dressed.

20th Century Women

Stars: Annette Bening and Elle Fanning

A24 has been coming out with some great films in the past couple years. I love the whole 1970s aesthetic and woohoo, more films about women!!

On Netflix:

The Jungle Book––The new one.

The Imitation Game––Starring BAEnedict Cumberbatch.

10 Things I Hate About You––I’m obsessed with this film. Heath Ledger is a gem.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s––If you haven’t seen this movie yet, get on it!

Spotlight––Wow; this movie won the Oscar for Best Picture last year and I really didn’t think I would love it, but it’s so thought provoking and well done.

Mustang––I know, I know; I’m recommending a foreign film. But it’s so interesting! I takes place in a remote Turkish village and follows the lives of five orphaned sisters.

Good Will Hunting––Ooh, what a film. If you want to see Robin Williams, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon at their best, watch this movie asap.

Usual Suspects––Absolutely the greatest plot twist at all time.

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind––I’m obsessed with Jim Carrey as a dramatic actor. This film is so trippy.

The Crucible––I couldn’t be a real theatre kid without including this movie. We all need a lil’ Daniel Day-Lewis in our lives.

The Big Short––This was my favorite movie of 2015. It’s brilliantly made, so funny, and actually taught me a lot about economics.

Lilo and Stitch––Arguably one of the cutest and best Disney animated films.

Lilo and Stitch obviously focuses a lot on family. So obviously, you don’t have to use these movies to escape your family; watch them together! My brothers and I saw The Force Awakens together and then I saw it again with my dad; I hope we’ll be able to see Rogue One together as well. And cuddle up with a friend, your mom, your dog, or your whole family to watch 10 Things I Hate About You. (But maybe watch Good Will Hunting by yourself because there will be tears.)

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Mackenna is a senior who loves all things theatrical, a good cup of green tea, good music, good movies, and all the dogs. Oh, and would give up her humanity if given to opportunity to live as a baby bear.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.