This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I was always quite shy and timid when it came to makeup. For the most part I used it to cover up rather than accentuate my already beautiful features. Now though, I have found myself having a lot more fun and trying new things when it comes to makeup. I have made some amazing discoveries of products I love, and here are some of my new favorites I want to share!

1.  Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer

I had some trouble finding a primer that worked for me, but this one is just right. It’s nice and light, and my sensitive skin is very appreciative for the gentle feel of it. Plus, it keeps my makeup on from morning to night.

2.  Rimmel London Scandaleyes Eye Shadow Crayon in 003 Bad Girl Bronze and 015 Trespassing Taupe

I saw an ad for these eye shadow crayons in Seventeen over Spring Break and was quite curious. They were advertising the bright turquoise color, but I went for classic brown and a bronze and they are magical. They are so easy to use and to apply, especially if you’re running late to class or work and want to throw on a bit of makeup in the morning. The bronze is my new favorite eyeliner because it’s so easy to put on. I might have to go buy a couple more at Walmart.

3.  CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume in Brown Black

I always told myself that CoverGirl was too expensive to spend my money on, and man was I missing out. Most of the makeup I focus on is my eyes, especially mascara, so it’s worth the two bucks more than the Maybelline I’d been buying since eighth grade. I also use mascara more to darken my lashes than for intense volume, and this is the perfect balance between the two. It also leaves my eyelashes feeling soft and as if I’m not wearing mascara at all.

4.  Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in 410 Blissful Berry

I was inspired by a friend to try out purple lipstick, but wanted to start the experiment gently. This berry tone is the perfect transition between the pinks and reds I am used to with the deep hue of the purple I wanted to try. The lipstick itself is so smooth and feels amazing when I’m wearing it. I’ve worn it four of the five times that I have worn lipstick in the past two and a half weeks since I bought. I definitely recommend it. 

5.  Maybelline New York Fit Me Foundation and Powder 

Up until this March, I had never owned foundation. It seemed like a lot of work and I didn’t really understand how to put it on and which one to use to look as natural as possible. I heard positive reviews via YouTube beauty vlogs, and thought to try it out. I like the medium coverage since it’s just right for the look I want: clean, polished, but natural. Be sure to match it to your skin tone as best you can, and keep in mind that summer is coming up (in theory). If you’ll be somewhere sunny, you’ll likely need a shade or two darker than you will during the winter!

5.  Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow Palette in 510 Precocious

Honestly, I initially picked this up because I liked the name and thought the colors were pretty. Then I actually used the eye shadows and never looked back. It’s a palette for creating a smoky eye, which I have still failed to master, but the guidance on the back of the package is definitely appreciated.

I promise you, I am no expert on makeup. There are still a lot of products out there that I don’t know how to use. I just started using make-up brushes about six months, and I’m still learning. It’s never late to start learning and playing around if you want to try something new. Let me know what some of your favorite products to use are!

California girl transported to the glory of the Midwest. Art History major, English minor. Proud nerd and Girl Scout. Blogger. Gund Gallery Associate. Class of 2017, loving every minute of exploring Gambier, Kenyon and myself to find what the future has in store.
Abigail Roberts is a senior English/Creative Writing major at Kenyon College. When she's not writing, she's wasting away on Netflix, voting, or being weird about Victorian literature.