Lacquered Love: Fall Nail Polish Round Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I definitely don’t think that I am much of a girly-girl.  I hate the color pink, am completely clueless when it comes to make-up, and barely know how to dress myself properly (though I guess I can thank seven years of school uniforms for that).  The only “girly” hobby that I have found myself interested in over the past few years is nail polish. 

I consider nail polish to be as much a part of fashion as clothes are.  Just like we pull on slouchy, muted-color sweaters and boots to reflect the changing of the seasons, we also change the nail polish colors we wear.  The bright polish colors we wear in the spring and summer differ significantly from the more subdued colors of fall.  Though they may not be as fun as traditional warm-weather colors, I do love wearing these darker colors of autumn and I want to share some of my favorites.  

1.     OPI, Jade is the New Black. 

If you know nail polish, then you know OPI.  And if you know OPI, then you know this classic shade.  The brand first marketed Jade is the New Black as the “perfect Starbucks green” and it really does match Starbucks’ iconic color.  So, if you’re missing those pumpkin spice lattes, wearing this darker green color will maybe remind you of your favorite fall weather coffee destination (besides Wiggin St., of course).

2.     Sally Hansen Hard as Nails X-Treme Wear, Gunmetal.  

I love metallic nail polish in the colder months.  Yes, the brand might be name a mouthful, but Gunmetal is worth it.  It is a perfect combination of a sleek metallic and a deep indigo with a slight duo-chrome quality about it.  I love wearing this color and seeing how the shade changes in the light.  It’s almost two polishes in one!

3.     Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, Espresso

I love wearing brown nail polish; it is classy and can complement any skin tone.  Brown is, however, not a popular color in the spring and summer months, so I always get excited when the leaves start to change and I can wear brown on my nails again.  This color is not exactly a deep chocolate color.  It instead has a sort of brightness unique to brown nail polishes that makes the nails pop.

4.     Essie, Love and Acceptance. 

I have never gotten more compliments from wearing any other nail polish color.  While this grayed-out purple is a tad bit underwhelming in the bottle, the muddy color is striking on the nails.  The color is also very unique; while it’s not exactly a lilac, it’s also not a gray.  Everything about this cream polish is perfect for fall.

Emma Miller, from Shaker Heights, Ohio,  is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. She is a co-president of StageFemmes, a Kenyon student theatre organization dedicated to showcasing the talents of women in drama. Emma spends her summers as Assistant Director at a Jewish performing arts camp. Emma is thrilled to be in her second year as co-Campus Correspondent for Kenyon's HC chapter.  Emma was a founding staff member of her high school's online magazine, and her writings have also been published on the FBomb. She is passionate about girls' education, Jimmy Fallon, iced tea, Ireland, Cleveland, and SmartWool socks.