This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Campus Cutie: Katie Connell

Name: Catherine Margaret Connell

Age: 18

Year: 2018

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Major: International Studies

Activities: Ransom Notes, the Chamber Singers and the Winter Sanctuary

Power animal: Golden retriever.

Hi Katie! You’ve been on the hill for about three months now; what’s your favorite thing about Kenyon so far?

Oh my gosh, so many things! I definitely love how beautiful it is. When I’m stressing about something, I can leave any building and I remember how beautiful everything is. It helps me take a step back and appreciate what I have.

Also, Kenyon kidz are really rad.

Describe your perfect Kenyon day.

It would be a Friday, because I don’t have classes until 11. I would get up and make some tea, read my bible for a bit and then grab some grub at Peirce. I would sit and chat with my friends for a while, then go to English. Chambers would magically be cancelled and then I would go on a walk and call my best friend. I’d go do my homework and feel content that all my work is done for the day. And then I’d have a nice night hanging out with my friends! That’s it.

What do you miss the most about Cincinnati?  

Oh man, Cincinnati is a dope place to be because there are a lot of cool neighborhoods to check out. I miss the fact that my best friend and I would explore the city on weekends and find out new restaurants and shops and stuff. I miss adventuring around different areas of the city.   

You’re a member of the Ransom Notes and the Chamber Singers at Kenyon. Were you always this involved in music?

Yeah, I’ve done choir since elementary school. I was really into musical theater in high school, as well. I wasn’t in a-capella until now, but Emma Brown ’17 wrangled me into auditioning for the Ransom Notes and I’m so glad I did!  

What is one song you would love to sing during your time here at Kenyon?

There are many songs I like. I really dig Doctor Dog (the band) and if there’s any way we could sing that a-capella I would really, really enjoy that. Any of their songs would be cool.

If Jeni’s made an ice-cream based off of your personality, what flavor would it be and why?

I’ve never had Jeni’s actually… But it would probably be something fruity. Pleasant, something everybody likes. Not too spicy, no crazy chili peppers up in here.

But actually, I would be the soft serve ice-cream with rainbow sprinkles on them. It’s classic, delicious, and you can find it anywhere in your neighborhood. It reminds me of my mom. It’s her favorite.

Finally, what is one thing on your Kenyon bucket list?

I really, really want to get invited to dinner at D-Cat’s house. I don’t know what club or organization I would have to join in order to make that a thing, but I aspire to one day sit at his table. 

Abigail Roberts is a senior English/Creative Writing major at Kenyon College. When she's not writing, she's wasting away on Netflix, voting, or being weird about Victorian literature.