Campus Celebrity: Professor Chelsey Hamm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Role at Kenyon: Visiting Music Professor

Hometown: Skaneateles, New York

College: Ithaca College

Majors: Music Theory, Horn Performance, and Instrumental Education

Masters Degree: Music Theory and Composition at  The Florida State University

PhD: Music Theory, with minors in Horn Performance and Music History and Literature at Indiana University

Campus Activities: Pottery class, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, Dancing with the Kenyon Stars, and walking my dog Chewy

Hi Professor Hamm, thank you for agreeing to talk to us! This is your second year teaching at Kenyon as a visiting professor in the Music department, and we’re so lucky to have you. What made you want to teach at Kenyon?

I was drawn to the high-quality student body. They’re intellectually curious, motivated, and dedicated to doing their work. This was a nice contrast from conservatory students, who are very talented, but aren’t always motivated to do their work. All they want to do is practice. Also, it’s a very beautiful campus and it’s dog-friendly!

Have you taught music at other colleges? What makes Kenyon different?

I did! I taught at both Florida State and Indiana, and also Butler Universtiy. Kenyon is different because it’s very much smaller, and again the quality of the students here. In terms of Butler, another small university, there was a lack of tradition and uniqueness. I can’t really name a lot of unique things about Butler, but I can list a lot of ceremonies that make Kenyon special.

The colleagues here are great. I have really great friends here, which isn’t always the case.

You’re currently working on your dissertation to earn your PhD at Indiana University. What is your paper about?

It’s called “Dissonance, Association, and treatment in the music of Charles Ives.” It examines this composer’s perspective on dissonance, what he wrote about the topic, and his uses of dissonance in his compositions. Dissonance is very positive and constructive for him, which is the opposite of what people thought because dissonance sounds bad. I do some musical analyses through the perspective that dissonance is good

What drew you to this topic?

I’ve always loved the music of Ives. I think it’s really interesting, not necessarily beautiful, but very different. I kinda wanted to explore the ways in which it might be structured and the way Ives composes his music.

As a triple major, you were an extremely busy person in college. What was that experience like?

I think it was different from a typical Kenyon students’ experience, in that I didn’t do anything else. I wasn’t in any club or have non-music hobbies. I was in ensembles, but didn’t have outside activities like crafts. In terms of classes, I didn’t really take many outside of Music classes.

What’s your biggest piece of advice for college students on stress and time management?

Get things done as early as you reasonably can, and space things out. It can be hard, but cramming is rarely the best strategy. Even in emergencies, it usually won’t work as well.

You recently signed up to participate in Dancing with the Kenyon Stars. What type of dance are you and your partner performing?

We’re doing a waltz!

Are you in it to win it?

No, I’d say I’m mostly in it to become a better dancer and have fun. But I did buy ballroom shoes!

We wish you the best of luck! Now let’s do some fun questions. If you could have a lame superpower, what would it be?

Reading my dog’s mind.

What is your favorite way to relax?

Does sleeping count? I’d say sleeping, watching Vampire Diaries (I’m on season four now) or other trashy television. Or bubble baths!

What is your favorite pop song?

“Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepson, and also Ke$ha’s “Die Young,” and also “Shut Up and Dance With Me” by Walk the Moon.

And finally, what’s your best piece of advice for college students?

While you’re in this environment, take advantage of everything you can do. Take a woodworking class, join ballroom dance and go once a week if you can, take random glasses like Archeology. You won’t get to do that in grad school for sure, you’ll probably never have access to this kind of thing again. Learn a new thing. You never know what you’re good at, really!

Thanks, Professor Hamm!

Image Credit: Chelsey Hamm, Lexi Bollis

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.