Campus Celebrity: Kalki Aseged

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Kalki Kidest Aseged

Age: 18 (turning 19 on December 3rd)

Year: 2017

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

Major: Psychology and Pre-Med

Activities: UCC, tour guide, overnight host, tutor at Wiggin St. Elementary School.

Power animal: A wise elephant – my favorite animal.

Hey Kalks! You’re a tour guide, you frequently host prospies and you were a UCC for the incoming class of 2018. What motivates you to be so actively involved in the Kenyon community?

I like to stay busy. I especially like to do things that involve helping other people. I like giving other people advice and making new friends and connections!

You’re from Columbus, arguably one of the best cities to visit outside of the Kenyon bubble. What’s your favorite thing about Cbus?         

Probably the malls. That’s pretty stereotypical, but they have a lot of good stores there, and I like to shop. I love Easton and all of the cute little boutiques on the Short North. Oh, and they have a really good food scene!

On the flipside, what’s your favorite thing about Kenyon College?

The ‘peeps’ – the people, that is. There are a lot of different people with different background and experiences. I love getting to know everyone on campus. 

If Jeni’s made an ice-cream just for you, what flavor would it be and why?

Gosh! It would be something quirky. Probably like chocolate mixed with pomegranate. I want pomegranate seeds covered in chocolate. I love pomegranate seeds and ice-cream as it is. To have them in the form of little chunks, like little bits, would be so good. Just, so good. It’s one of my favorite fruits.    

A little birdie told me you really like to dance. What are three songs you consider essential in your party playlist?        

Birthday, by Will. I. Am. Since U Been Gone, by Kelly Clarkson. Love More, by Chris Brown and featuring Nicki Minaj.

Describe the perfect Kenyon day.

The perfect Kenyon day? All right. It would be a Tuesday, because I have no class. I get up and give a tour, then eat a wonderful brunch (or lunch, technically) with my friends. I’d take a trip to Sunset Point and then hang out with all of my friends in our dorm’s lounge. And then, as we’re hanging out, we’d order food from Bombay Garden. That would be such a nice day!

I know we’re best friends, but what’s one thing I (and the rest of Kenyon, of course) don’t know about you?

I love the heartbreaking break-up scenes in rom-coms. I know they’ll get back together, so I like that part because they will be sad for a while, but then they are happy! Like the car crash scene from The Vow? That was awesome.

Finally, what is one thing on your Kenyon bucket list?

Take a joyride on one of campus safety’s golf carts.