Campus Celebrity: Dirk Hamel-Wood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Dirk Hamel-Wood

Age: 19

Year: 2017

Hometown: Sarasota, Florida

Major/Minor: English with Studio Art

Activities: Kenyon College Men’s Swim Team

Power animal: A wolf

Hey Dirk! Most people know you as a swimmer, an English major, and a video game fan. Can you describe yourself in three words?

I’d say I’m pretty easy-going, practical, and friendly.

What do you miss the most about Florida?         

The simplest answer is nothing in particular… Most people would expect me to say the weather, I guess. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually really like the weather in Gambier (for the most part).

What do you love the most about Kenyon?

We’ve got an amazing faculty. They put a lot of time and effort into making sure we’re learning (and enjoying our Kenyon experience), so that’s pretty awesome. Plus, like I said: I like the weather.

Whats been your weirdest experience on campus so far?

Well, I stayed over spring break this year, and the campus was pretty strange with no one here. Other than that, I haven’t had any ghost encounters or anything.

If Jenis made an ice cream based on your personality, what flavor would it be and why?

I think I’d be Thin Mint flavored. It’d be a cool, well-liked flavor! Maybe with some cookie dough in it. I don’t know, I’m not super picky about that stuff.

Finally, what is one thing on your Kenyon bucket list?

Sled down the KAC hill! It’ll probably have to wait until after I’m done swimming; I don’t think it would be fun to explain to my coach when I definitely get injured.