Campus Celebrity: Chris Wilson ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Year: Senior

Age: 21

Hometown: Marshall, Michigan

Major: Drama

Minor: Classics

Campus Activities: Chamber Singers, The Kokosingers, KCDC, Magical History Radio Show

Her Campus Kenyon: This past weekend, you and Dylan Gregory acted in Almost Blue for part of your senior theses. How did you guys go about picking Almost Blue as the play for your senior thesis? What drew you to it?

Chris Wilson: We went to the library and want on a database of plays, typed “shows with two men, a few other parts,” and hit search. I checked out probably a dozen plays and Dylan and I read through a bunch of things. The thing that stuck with us about Almost Blue was the ending. Neither of us had any clue what the final scene meant, but I wanted to figure it out.

HCK: What was the conclusion you came to?

Chris: My character was in love with Dylan’s, and I told him this lie thinking he’s say, “Awesome! She’s dead! Everything can go back to the way it was.” And that wasn’t what happened. And so I try to backtrack to get the truth out, but by that time it’s too late.

HCK: What was your favorite thing about playing Blue?

Chris: Figuring out the physicality of his weirdness, because his language is so formal compared to everything else that’s going on. Figuring out the reason behind that was so interesting—is he a robot, is he flamboyant—and analyzing the weirdness there was really fun.

HCK: What was the most challenging thing about figuring out how to portray him?

Chris: Probably the most challenging thing was finding ways to hint at his homosexuality without veering into stereotypes and having it be like “He’s here and he’s queer!” I had to figure out places where stereotypes would be useful without falling into any traps.

HCK: Did you have a specific process you used to get into character before performing?

Chris: Not particularly, by the time we were putting it up we had been rehearsing for four weeks. A lot of it was getting into costume, with the suit was a bit too small to me. That helped dictate how I could move. Hanging out with the other cast members helped, and relaxing before the show, trying not to get too nervous.

HCK: What’s your favorite thing about being a Drama major at Kenyon?

Chris: Probably the other people I get to work with. One of the things I love about the department is that it’s not just for majors—everyone from all over the college can participate. And I love being involved in shows. It’s such a collaborative process. You’re working with faculty, students, cast members, stage managers, and after all these weeks you have a show to put on and that’s really fun.

HCK: In addition to being a Drama major, you’re very involved in music groups on campus. What are you looking forward to most with the Kokosingers this year?

Chris: Well I’m President this year, which means I have to plan tour, so I’m looking forward to getting that done. Tour is always really fun, as is the Parents’ Weekend concert because Rosse becomes a fire hazard. Because I’m a senior, it (and everything else I’m doing this year) is tinted with this bitter sweetness knowing that it’s the last time I get to do all of these things, but it makes me want this time to be the best one.

HCK: You’re also one of the Chamber Singers Presidents this year (affectionately referred to as Chamber Dad). When you were a first-year, did you aspire to take on this role?

Chris: Not really, I’m still kind of surprised I got it, especially with how busy I am. Sometimes I feel bad because I don’t have a ton of time to devote to it, but it’s an honor and it’s fun. The biggest part is party planning and being a smiling face on tour, which is totally manageable.

HCK: All of the Chamber Singers have a close relationship with Doc Locke, but how has holding a leadership position in the choir changed your relationship?

Chris: He asks a lot more of me. He always looks to the seniors as role models for the group, but me and Lauren (the other Chamber Singers Co-President) even more so. He wants us to know that we set the tone for the group, it’s nice because I feel closer to him, but it’s weird because I’m in between being a student and a pseudo-employee.

HCK: What’s the best part about having the opportunity to work closely with Doc and being a leader of the choir?

Chris: The title of Chamber Dad. I don’t know when that came about, but I’m very much a fan of that. I’m looking forward to tour, and being the voice on the microphone in the bus, being the voice that everyone loves but also loathes over the course of the week.

HCK: Ok so now let get to some silly questions. If you were a Peirce breakfast item, what would you be?

Chris: I think I’d be a mini waffle.

HCK: If you could snap your fingers and be anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Chris: Istanbul. Being a Classics minor, I’m a total history nerd, and that’s been the center of so much really cool history. I’d love to go there and see it for myself.

HCK: When you go home for breaks, what’s the first thing you want to do in your hometown?

Chris: Find a friend from high school who’s around and go to Dark Horse, which is the local brewery and pizza place that is wonderful.

HCK: Do you have any secret hobbies?

Chris: I’ve done tae kwon do for 9 years at this point, and have a second-degree black belt.

HCK: And one final question…what is one piece of advice you have for first-years at Kenyon?

Chris: Don’t be afraid to over-commit yourself, but then don’t be afraid to prune back when you reach that point. There’s so much stuff to do I think it’s great to put yourself out there, but it’s also important to know when you’ve stretched yourself too far and know it’s time to cut back. Also, take a class with Shutt.

Image Credit: Facebook

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.