Campus Celebrities: Late Night Cabaret Crew

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I got the rare chance to sit down with Becca Weiser, one of the co-directors and stars of the upcoming Late Night Cabaret (this is working title, the real show name is TBD), and ask her a few questions about the show. Read on to learn more about the show, find out what it’s like to put on a production at Kenyon, and discover some shocking facts about Becca.

Campus Celebrities: The Late Night Cabaret CrewName(s): Becca Weiser (With Natalie Margolin & Sydney Fishman)Years: All 2014Majors: Anthropology; Drama; Art History

HCK: What is the Late Night Cabaret?BW: The late night cabaret is a contemporary musical theater extravaganza. We will be singing our way through typical college-life dilemmas and it will happen on Sendoff Eve (April 24, 2014)

Where did the idea come from?BW: I come from a background in musical theater, and when I first got to Kenyon there didn’t seem to be that many opportunities for me to get involved in terms of musical theater. Putting on a whole production is extremely expensive and for someone like me, a non-drama major, it’d be hard to get the resources needed to put on a show. So, I thought an interesting alternative to pursue would be a cabaret. I knew two of my close friends, Natalie and Sydney, were also passionate about musical theater so we thought it’d be a fun to work together on this project. 

What is a cabaret, exactly?It’s a cycle of songs performed in a bar like setting late at night usually with some sort of a theme to tie it together.

So, what is your theme?It’s about coming of age in college

What does your cast look like? Our cast is very eclectic, we have people singing that you probably have never heard before, but then also people who make regular appearances on the stage. We have a few freshmen that we’re excited about and quite a few seniors too, which also rounds out the concept of the “coming of age” theme. We have the show kind of bookended, which I’m happy with.

Who is your favorite actor/actress?BW: My favorite actor is currently Matthew McConaughey because…True Detective and Dallas Buyers Club.

Favorite place on campus?BW: In my bed in my room.

What would be the theme song of your life?BW: Probably right now it’s Francis and the Light’s Like a Dream.

Now for some more serious, pressing questions:

If you could eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?BW: Sweet potatoes

Wiggins or Deli?BW: Umm, Wiggins

Favorite smell?BW: My mom

What’s one shocking and surprising thing about you that probably no one knows?BW: I have the arm span of 6-foot tall man but then I also have small feet.

What piece of inspiration or wisdom do you have for people who are looking to put on a show in the future?BW: Kenyon is the kind of place where we’re lucky enough to have the opportunity to at least try to start out own productions and you never know what’l happen so you might as well try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Any closing thoughts?BW: We’d like to say thank you to the Horn Gallery for the generous grant that made this show possible!

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.