A Broke Girl’s Guide to Wine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As a 21-year-old college student, I understand the struggle of finding a quality, affordable wine that doesn’t come in a box. I mean, if Franzia is your all-time favorite thing, go for it, but I prefer my wine to come in a bottle.  For those of you who want to be classy but thrifty, here are six wines that are under ten dollars to go with your cheese.

1. Two-buck Chuck (Trader Joe’s)

Though it may be called Two-buck Chuck, Trader Joe’s infamous wine really costs approximately $3.00. However, for that price, TJ’s actually sells some quality wine. Charles Shaw comes in both red and white and is made by one of California’s largest vineyards. Trader Joe’s also has a selection of wines that cost more than $3.00, but it’s a good place to go if you’re on a budget or are planning to splurge.

2. Cheap Red Wine / Cheap White Wine

I think the name really says it all. Cheap Red Wine and Cheap White Wine is a brand that lives up to its name. Cheap (insert color here) Wine runs about $3.00 – $7.00 depending on where you buy it. If you are someone who likes variety, however, this wine may not be for you. There is only one type of Cheap Red Wine and Cheap White Wine, a California red and a California white. 

3. Barefoot Wines

Barefoot is pretty much a classic college wine. It comes in all shapes and sizes from Merlot to Pino Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon to Sauvignon Blanc. Its price range is from about $5.00 to $7.00. You can find Barefoot wines pretty much anywhere and in any state.

4. Naked Grape Wines

If you want a little more class than Barefoot, I would go with Naked grape. It’s slightly more than Barefoot, ranging from $6.00 to $8.00. Naked Grape also has a wide selection of wines, but the Pino Grigio is rated highest out of all of them.

5. Cupcake Prosecco

Now, if you’re trying to be really classy, Cupcake Prosecco is the way to go. It’s cheaper than actual champagne, and only slightly more expensive than Andre. It is somewhere between $6.00 and $8.00. Drinking Prosecco is basically like floating on a cloud, a cloud that cost less than $10.00.

6. [Yellow tail] wines

[Yellow tail] is the most expensive wine on this list. It ranges from $8.00 – $10.00. If you are looking for a really nice red wine, I would start here. They do have a nice selection of other wines as well. So, if you’re looking to treat yourself, go Australian and get yourself some [yellow tail].

Images:

grimm.ca

nickthebest.tumblr.com