Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

In 2012, “Science Guy” Bill Nye appeared in an online video, urging parents to refrain from passing along religious-based-doubts about evolution to their children. In response, Ken Ham, an Australian native who has built a thriving ministry in Kentucky, posted his own video rebutting Nye’s sentiments. It was from this brief social media exchange that the two decided to share a stage.

Nye and Ham duked it out on February 4th, drawing much media attention, and their debate lasted just under three hours. Not being particularly interested in science or religion, I admit that I did not sit through  its entirety. Regardless, I’ve tried to become as well-versed as possible in both the evolutionist and creationist arguments. For those like me who can’t forfeit three hours to watch the debate (given a minor inconvenience we know as homework), here is a mini recap:

Mr. Nye’s argument centered on the idea that carbon dating points to the Earth being roughly 7 billion years old; this is in sharp contrast with Mr. Ham’s belief that the Earth is only 6,000 years old – a number derived from the genealogy of key biblical figures. Ham argued that his timeline of the Earth is more reliable than Nye’s, whose is based on a “faulty carbon dating process.” Ham’s calculations, in contrast, are supplied to us by an eyewitness to the creation of the world (namely, God).

Both Nye and Ham did an excellent job outlining their points, while maintaining an air of professionalism and respect. As such, in no way do I condemn Nye for participating in the debate – a critique reiterated by many scientists who felt that Nye’s appearance helped support an organization whose creed Nye and others are trying to subvert.

Regardless of morality, Nye was the clear winner. Mainly, this is because of odd, unsubstantiated claims made by Ham, many of which had seemingly nothing to do with the creationist argument. Case in point – that all people and animals were vegetarians before the flood (Nye wisely pointed out that the teeth of a lion do not seem well-suited to a vegetarian lifestyle).

Whatever your stance on the issue, the Creationism Museum in Petersburg, KY (headquarters for the debate) is an attraction worthy of a visit. My roommate – an evolutionist and native Kentuckian – deems it “the best museum ever.” Complete with a petting zoo, realistic sculptures depicting human-dinosaur interactions, and mobile sculptures of Adam and Eve, the museum is sure not to disappoint. At the gift shop, you can also purchase DVDs of the debate.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.