Athletic Foodie: Recover and Refuel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

So you’ve crushed your latest workout and you simultaneously feel like an absolute superstar and like walking back up the hill from the KAC is going to be the definite end of your existence. Your legs scream at you and you’re overcome with an intense feeling of fatigue, which has you wondering whether you’ll be able to make it through your workout tomorrow. You fueled your workout for today, but what can you do to make sure tomorrow’s workout is just as amazing? The answer, which is often overlooked, is to refuel with foods that will replenish your body and allow it to recover properly from today’s work. In this second installation of Athletic Foodie, I’ll list some of my favorite tips to keep you chipper for that next session. Again, I’m nowhere close to a doctor, so talk to an expert before you drastically change your eating habits!

I said it before and I’ll say it again: Hydration is key.

Your body loses more water through sweat during a workout than most people realize and dehydration is the leading cause of fatigue after a workout. Not only should you have a bottle of water with you during your workout, but you should also be consuming about 32 ounces—that’s the size of a large Nalgene bottle—of water within the hour after your workout so your body doesn’t come to a grinding halt. Water is literally essential to our lives and your body won’t be able to recover properly after a hard workout if your body is busy trying to conserve what little water remains afterward.

Get some protein!

Most of us have heard this one, but many people are still confused about why it’s so important to get protein into your body after a workout. I said before that I’m not a doctor or anything, but being an athlete for 15 years of my life has given me enough knowledge to know that is is absolutely essential. When you work a specific muscle grouping, you actually create microtears in the muscle fiber, which is then filled in with protein to recover, which is why your muscles grow larger. Protein is the essential building block for muscles, but if your body doesn’t get an outside source of protein, it will find protein within itself—your body will actually break down and consume the muscle fibers from muscles not as heavily taxed in order to repair those that were. Basically, if you have a heavy leg day and don’t get protein afterwards, your body will go to your arms, back, and chest in order to get the necessary protein to repair your legs.

Ideally, 20 to 40 grams of protein should be taken in within 30 minutes of the completion of the workout to maximize its effects. Lean meats, tofu, eggs, and beans are excellent sources of protein and are readily available in Peirce for an after workout meal. Dairy products are also great protein sources and many experts believe that chocolate milk is actually the best recovery drink around. For vegetarians especially, protein intake is something to be very conscious of, so finding healthy substitutes for a chicken breast or a burger at a meal is super important to the way you recover after working out.

Get a little salty.

Many of us try to stay away from sodium as best we can because a high sodium intake can increase the risks for high blood pressure and heart disease, but after a workout is a different story. Sodium is a mineral that naturally attracts water in the body, helping to maintain the liquid portion of your blood, as well as aiding in cognitive and nerve functions. When you sweat, there’s a reason it’s salty—your body excretes its sodium along with the water in order to maintain equilibrium. But in order to maintain that equilibrium after you rehydrate, you need to take in at least some sodium, otherwise you can become hyponatremic. Hyponatremia is a serious condition that has multiple risk factors including vomiting, headache, confusion, and cramping, none of which are ideal for recovering after a workout.

To compensate, grab a salty snack after a workout. Pretzels are always a good choice, but adding a little more salt to your meal is a good idea too. And remember, if you have a crazy craving for something salty, your body is trying to tell you something!

Add something sweet.

Sweat takes a lot out of you, including valuable blood sugar levels. Just as important for before your workout as after your workout, natural sugars—like those found in fruits—are essential for your body’s recovery. You don’t have to go crazy, either. Just one apple or a handful of berries is enough to satiate those cravings while also pumping your blood sugar back up. Adding some fruits to your yogurt is also a great way to make sure you’re getting protein and sugars, as well. Not only will your body recover more quickly, but you’ll feel more alert and energized instead of experiencing the post-workout slump.

Making sure you take care of your body after a workout ensures that you will crush the one tomorrow. Happy sweating, happy eating!

Image Credit: Getty Images

Sarah Lloyd is a senior History/Art History double major at Kenyon College. In her spare time, she swims for the Kenyon Ladies, works on the Relay For Life Committee, sits on the Senior Class Council, and eats a lot of food. 
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.