7 Ready for Summer Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

We are in our last week, Keyonites! And now that we’re finally rid of all our illnesses (and the endless allergies), I am here to bring you some quality food-porn. Summer is the time of freedom, unpaid internships, and barbeques. It’s also the time where you see the words “fresh” and “healthy” way more than you thought they could be used. More importantly, summer is the time where you can relax (sometimes). Here are a few recipes which should remind you of summer and maybe, just maybe, you’ll have time to try some or all of them:  

Brown Butter Waffles with No Churn Blueberry Ice Cream Time to wake up and smell the blueberries. Personally, I am a huge breakfast fan: I could probably eat breakfast all day and have no complaints. Add some fresh made blueberry ice cream and I’m made for life.

Slow-Cooker Balsamic Pulled Pork– Here’s the first savory recipe. Cookouts and barbeques surrounded by friends and family is how summer begins. This recipe is simple and can keep your hands available for any other treats you’re looking to make. This one would be especially good for July 4th!

Individual Whole Peach Pies If peaches don’t remind you of summer, I don’t know what will. Fruit pies are just the start of summer, and with this recipe you can have a whole peach pie all to yourself. Pick up a pint of vanilla bean ice cream- or if you’re familiar with Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream, try it with their Brown Butter Almond Brittle.

Strawberry Shortcake By the way, June 14 is National Strawberry Shortcake Day, and fresh strawberries with some hand-whipped whipped cream is like a piece of heaven. So, get those strawberries ready for June 14 because it’s almost time to celebrate summer’s beginning.

Raspberry White Chocolate Scones The dynamic duo is back again for summer. Fresh picked raspberries (or store bought, of course) on the breakfast table is just one more way to bring a smile to anyone’s face. And who doesn’t love scones? These are pretty easy to make, especially if you make them the night before. These are alsolso perfect for Mother’s Day coming up… hint hint.

Stuffed Poblano Peppers At my home, we have a huge garden in the backyard. There is nothing quite like picking fresh peppers, hollowing them out, and filling them with whatever summer goodness you choose. This is just one of the recipes I’ve used in the past. If you’re a vegetarian, couscous or quinoa make a great filler.

Watermelon Sweet Tea It’s the time where sweet tea is abundant and sunshine never ends. Here’s a twist on the normal sweet tea to add one of summer’s most popular fruits: watermelon. If there’s one thing to try this summer, it’s this. You’ll fall in love.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.