This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This summer, I interned at a writing workshop for kids in New York City. I did it not because I was motivated to work with kids, but because I wanted to live in NYC and do something related to writing. I had no idea how close I would get with the kids and how much my daily interactions with them would mean. I know some people who have assumed they would love working with kids and ended up hating it, and others who, like me, thought they would be indifferent to the idea and ended up loving it. Here’s why, no matter how you feel, you should try working with kids some day!

1. You will get to know yourself a lot better.

I learned so much about my own childhood from the kids I worked with. It’s great to sit in a classroom environment with nine-year-olds and be able to pick out which kid you were most like at that age. It showed me how much I’ve grown in terms of the way I interact with groups and present my ideas, as well as the habits I still have that get in the way of connecting with other people.

2. It will remind you how to play.

We get stressed out a lot and forget to take some time off. We also stress ourselves out about taking that time off —we make a big deal of leaving for vacation or going crazy on the weekends. It’s easy to forget that having fun can be as simple as laughing at a stupid joke or learning a new hand game. Even if you’re not in a fun mood, just seeing the joy on a kid’s face when you play with them will convince you to loosen up a little.

3. Kids will cheer you up.

I can’t even begin to count the days I went to work feeling awful and tired and pessimistic about life, and then a joke or a smile from a kid changed all of that around. Kids are hopeful and enthusiastic about life, and it’s super helpful to remember this perspective after spending so much time at college, where lots of people can be pretty jaded. If you’re someone who depends on the little things to give you that extra kick in your day, kids will definitely help.

4. You’ll see how much of an effect you can have on people.

You’ll mention a song or a book to a kid, and the next day they’ll come back with a fully-formed opinion on it.  Younger people look up to you, and it is an incredibly gratifying experience to know that you are someone’s role model. It also gives you a greater appreciation for the people who have had an impact on your life and allowed you to reach the point where you are prepared to play that role.

5. Kids are wise.

I’ve made it a habit of writing down the positive things people say about me or to me so that I can feed myself some positivity in low moments, and I took so many notes of the things the kids said to me this summer. They boil things down to a simpler version and aren’t crippled by self-doubt when making decisions, so they can be a good example to follow. They can also be incredibly kind—I received the most genuine emotional support in a long time from a nine-year-old who took the time to listen to me talk about my breakup.

6. Even if you’re shy, they’re easy to talk to.

My conversational skills really developed this summer after spending just an hour every lunch just making conversation with fifth graders. Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. There’s something incredibly beautiful and gratifying about bringing a quiet kid out of their shell. So many of my conversations this summer reminded me never to give up on someone just because it seems like they aren’t interested in communicating with you at first.

Working with kids, no matter what you’re doing, is truly a life-changing experiencing. Whether your plan is to become a teacher or you’ve never liked being around kids, you should just try it. You might be surprised; and even if it doesn’t work out, at least you’ll know!

Image credits: Huffington Post, Pinterest, Giphy.com