5 Things to Do If You’re Going Home for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

The time is almost here. Midterms are in progress, February is ending, and the promise of a warm, sunny beach awaits you for Spring Break…Wait, are you not actually going to the beach? Me neither. As much as I might like to spend Spring Break like in a clichéd college movie lounging on a beach, I’m going home for break, as I’m sure many of you all are as well. But I’m not sad about it! There are plenty of fun things you can do, even if you are heading home.

1. Explore some local sights in your hometown. Whether you’re from a huge city or a town the size of Gambier, I’m sure there’s something in your hometown that you’ve never gone to because it’s too touristy. This Spring Break, take some time to check it out, whether it’s a cool restaurant, funky shop, interesting museum, or local landmark. You may not be taking a fancy vacation anywhere, but you can still play tourist in your hometown. 

2. Hang out with your sibling(s). Unless you have a brother or sister who also goes to Kenyon, chances are that you haven’t seen him or her in a while, so spend some time hanging out with your sibling(s) while you’re home! Go get some frozen yogurt, go bowling, or do something else fun that’s out of the house where you guys can catch up about your lives. Sibling connections are important, and at the very least, you’ll have someone else your age to talk to during the break.

3. Cook dinner with your mom or dad. Your parents haven’t seen you in a while, either, and they probably want to spend some time with you! Cooking dinner with them is a fun way to connect; you can hear about their day, tell them about your classes, or just ask them to teach you how to make your favorite meal. Cooking is something we often don’t get to do here at Kenyon, so take advantage of a fully stocked kitchen when you get home, and learn some new skills!

4. Read a book for fun. Remember back in elementary school and middle school when we actually had time to read for fun? Sometimes I really miss those days and the books that I could just get lost in and read all day long. This Spring Break, get back in touch with that time, and pick up a book to read just for fun. You can check out your local library or ask your parents or siblings if they have any books they think you might enjoy. And check out some of our suggestions for great books to read too!

5. Go visit your old school. Feeling nostalgic? I’m sure some of your old teachers would love to see you again, whether it’s your favorite high school teacher or your very first kindergarten teacher. Ask if you can come talk about college or even just help out with activities. Teachers love to gush about how much you’ve grown, and it will be fun to see how much your old school has changed. 

With some of these suggestions, you can absolutely have a fun break if you’re going home. Rest up Kenyon, and we’ll see you in March!

Image: digitalclaritygroup.com

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year.