5 Festival Looks Recreated with Household Materials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Festival season is in full swing. Even Kenyon saw it’s very own Coachella last weekend at Summer Sendoff, and believe me, the outfits were killer. But what are you to do if you have nothing to wear and Kenyon Thrift is a fashion wasteland? You’ve come to the right place. I have what people in many circle call “impeccable taste in clothing” and “the next great fashion designer.”

However, I am also a generous person. I will provide you with all the steps to achieve various stylish and affordable festival looks for any and all occasions. The best part? All of these can be recreated from the comfort of your own home!

1. Classic: Flower Crown and Sunnies

Everyone loves a good flower crown, but they can get so boring! Easter grass and some string take care of business in this simple twist on the festival favorite. Throw on your favorite free pair of sunglasses (Thanks Send-off!), and you’re ready to go!

2. Simple and Chic: Dress with Belt

Looking cute is what coachella is all about, right? (Who cares about listening to the bands you paid to see!) With a simple sheet and a belt, you can recreate this look in no time. Top it off with a cool hat for that effortless, boho chic vibe.

3. Not Cliche, Crochet: A look reimagined

Many would call my style “comfortable,” and what screams comfort more than wearing a blanket around? So fetch! Just wrap yourself in that old crochet thing your mom gave you, and tuck it discretely about your person as to avoid any “wardrobe malfunctions,” and just like that, you’re wowing the crowds at any event.

4. Now, That has a Ring to It!

Accessorize in style. Leftover Easter candy makes the perfect addition to your fingers. Cute, sweet, and function. Haters will say I only recreated this look to “get rid of my old Easter candy” or that “my fingers are clearly too large to wear this candy as actual rings.” Haters gonna hate, as it were.

5. Clearly, This is a Good Choice

Nothing says festival quite like wearing a plastic bag as a skirt, wouldn’t you agree? Do you ever feel, like a plastic bag? Well now you can! Make sure you’ve got your cutest hot pants (or swim trunks) underneath for a cool and totally modest look!Whatever you decide to wear, make sure you spend triple digits (read: $000) to have a good time and look like you just rolled out of bed. Obviously, this is a sarcastic and silly article, but I’m actually reaching at something more here: why are we spending a ridiculous amount on clothes that we may only wear one time? Moreover, are your ethics and personal views reflected in the production and distribution of the products you buy? Do you know how much water it takes to make a single t-shirt (hint: it’s an absurd amount). So, even if you may never wear a hand-me down blanket to Coachella, consider what you have before you buy what you don’t need.

Image Credit: Reagan Neviska, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reagan Neviska is a senior at Kenyon College where she studies Anthropology and Music. She is an active member of her coed Greek service organization, The Archon Society, as well as the president of Gospel Choir, a Her Campus Chapter Writer, and a member of the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, where she plays percussion. Reagan's interests include reading, practicing and listening to music, playing with dogs (her family has four!) and watching Downton Abbey.  You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Reagaroni.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.