4 Things I Miss Most About Going to An All Girls School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s been a quite some time since I’ve walked through the doors of Columbus School for Girls, a school, and a home of sorts, that I attended for seven years. My time at CSG was filled with learning experiences, growing opportunities, and friendships that I hope will continue to last for a lifetime. Although I have thoroughly enjoyed my college experience, there are times when a glimmer of nostalgia from my plaid skirt days creep up. Whether that be from a random memory coming to the forefront of my mind, or from running into old friends when I least expect it, there are instances when I begin to reflect on my time as a student in the weird and amazing kind of world that is an all-girls school. As such, I decided to share the top four things, ranging from silly to serious, that I miss most about being a unicorn!

1. Uniforms

Yes, you read that right. Believe it or not, there are some days when I just miss the ease of waking up for school and not having to think about what to wear. Not only did it save precious time in the mornings, but it made laundry much less of a hassle. Sure, they weren’t the most flattering items of clothing I’ve worn, but it made days where I didn’t have to wear the uniform all the more fun!

2. Free Food Everywhere

It’s a little ridiculous how much food was available on a day to day basis. Cupcakes, cookies, brownies, Chipotle chips, you name it—it was there. Nobody could eat food like a CSG girl could. The best part—I never left school hungry. Worst part—I had to put in those extra hours at the gym.

3. Safety

One of the things that I loved most about CSG was its safety. I remember leaving any and all of my items all over the place. Anybody who knows me well knows that I lose stuff a lot. I liked being comfortable enough with my surroundings to trust people not to disturb my things.

More importantly, I believe the environment at CSG provided a type of security in exploration and development. As cliche as it may sound, feeling comfortable enough to take risks and explore new opportunities without fear of judgment or lack of support was invaluable, and I will be forever grateful for it.

4. The Family

I’d like to think I made lifelong friends throughout my time at CSG. I still feel a sense of camaraderie with my old classmates, even with those I haven’t seen since graduation day. I grew up and learned right alongside the fifty-nine other girls in my class and I’m fairly confident in saying that I’ll never feel as close to a group of girls ever again. Not to mention, the relationships I built with my teachers, the things I learned from them both in and outside of class is something I’ll always be thankful for.

Go unies!

Image Credit: Kalki Aseged

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.