4 Things I Learned During My Freshman Year So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Freshman year is full of firsts. For many people, it’s the first time they’ve ever been away from home for an extended period of time, or it’s the first time they’ve had to share a room with someone. No matter what circumstances they come from, everyone learns a lot during their Freshman year, and I’m not just talking about what they learn in class. It sounds cliche, but Freshman year teaches you a lot about life and about yourself. Some of those lessons can be hard, but they’re all worth it. To get you ahead of the game, here are a few things I’ve learned during my first year so that you don’t have to.

1. You don’t have to go out to have fun.

A lot of first-years arrive on campus thinking that the only way to have fun or get to know people is to go out to parties on the weekends. While going out can be fun and a good way to meet people, it’s definitely not the only way! The hall meet-and-greet activities that happen at the beginning of the year can be really fun, and there are plenty of events designed specifically to let first-years meet each other. Once the beginning of the year has passed and those events slow down, try just going out to lunch or on a nature hike with your friends. Trust me when I say that some of your best Freshman year memories will come from just sitting around talking with friends.

2. College relationships can be hard.

Whether you’re talking about platonic or romantic relationships, college relationships are much different from high-school relationships. Living in the same place as your friends or significant other adds a whole new dynamic to the situation. You might feel like you see way too much of each other, and although you love these people, you’d just like some alone time once in awhile. On the other hand, you might have totally opposite schedules, so that it’s difficult to find time to be together. Whatever the situation, these new relationships can feel challenging to manage. Just know that you’ll figure it out soon enough, and with the way schedules change from semester to semester, it’s unlikely that you’ll be dealing with the same problems for too long.

3. It’s okay if you don’t know what you want to study!

If you’re totally set on a specific course of study, that’s awesome, but it’s also fine if you have no idea what you want to do! Taking classes that fulfill your diversification requirements gives you plenty of opportunities to explore all kinds of disciplines. Your first few semesters are a great time to try things you’ve never thought about before, and you might really be surprised by what you find yourself interested in!

4. Everything is going to be fine.

The beginning of freshman year can be really tough. You might feel homesick or like you’re a little out of place, but there’s no reason to worry! Almost everyone feels that way at some point during their first year, so you aren’t alone. Just remember all of the hard work that you’ve done to get to this point, and think about all of the great things you’re going to do while you’re here! You’ll find your place and feel comfortable here soon enough. College is a great experience full of amazing opportunities, and after you graduate, the only things you’ll regret are the things you didn’t do.

As summer passes and you prepare for your first year of college, don’t be too nervous. Everyone is willing to help you out with whatever you need, and you’ll have a great time. Soon, you’ll be learning your own lessons that you can pass on to the next incoming classes!

Image credits: Feature, 1, 2, 3

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.