12 Pro-Women Anthems We All Should Listen To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Sick of anti-feminist, sex-obsessed messages within pop culture? Need a new music playlist to blast when the patriarchy’s got you down? Here are some of my favorite songs that, although not entirely free of problematic tropes, make me proud as a woman.

1. “Me, Myself, and I” – Beyoncé

Along with all other songs of this feminist idol and goddess, Beyoncé. This song, praising independent women, may be one of Beyoncé’s earlier hits, but, in her recent interview about feminism, Beyoncé explains “I’m not really sure people know or understand what a feminist is, but it’s very simple. It’s someone who believes in equal rights for men and women.” Yes, Queen!

2. “Wannabe” – Spice Girls

A 90’s iconic hit. A shout-out to friendship everywhere. A group of five confident women shamelessly showcasing their talent. I can dig it. Fast forward twenty years, Project Everyone’s remake of the music video, reveals a more influential take on the song by highlighting what women actually want: the end to socially inherent sexism, from the gender wage gap to sexual abuse.

3. “Army” – Ellie Goulding

Continuing the friendship theme, this heartfelt song, dedicated to Ellie Goulding’s best friend, honors the strength of female bonds.

4. “Proud” – Tegan and Sara

Self-proclaimed queer feminist twin sisters, Tegan and Sara, have human rights messages throughout almost all of their music. “Proud” is one that you can’t miss, with lyrics like “freedom’s rough / so we take our stand and fight for tomorrow,” and “I’m proud to be proud to be me.”

5. “Can’t Pin Me Down” – Marina and the Diamonds

A dignified feminine singer, Marina celebrates her strength and freedom as an equal human, in “Can’t Pin Me Down,” while sassily questioning the ways women are portrayed. Misogynistic opinions will not prevent this badass from shamelessly promoting her natural self and the need for sexual equality, so, in her own words, “time to back off motherfucker.”

6. “Just One of the Guys” – Jenny Lewis

“Just One of the Guys” dramatizes the struggle of modern women with a spin, though Anne Hathaway, Kristen Stewart, and Brie Larson’s appearance as men and juxtaposing lyrics like “when I look at myself all I can see / I’m just another lady without a baby.” Lewis speaks to a more realistic version of everyday feminism where women can hang with the “guys” and still claim feminine identities.

7. “Can’t Hold Us Down” – Christina Aguilera feat. Lil’ Kim

“If you look back in history, it’s a common double standard of society / the guy gets all the glory the more he can score / while the girl can do the same and yet you call her a whore.” Preach.

8. “Just a Girl” – No Doubt

Gwen Stefani’s parodic takedown of misogynistic stereotypes, which depict women as incompetent and incapable became an essential sonic centerpiece of the ‘90s. “Oh I’m just a girl, all pretty and petite, so don’t let me have any rights.” So much sass and sarcasm. Nothing short of iconic.

9. “Hard Out Here” – Lily Allen

In her passionate song, “Hard Out Here,” Lily Allen argues against socially ingrained sexism with a sassy smirk. The music video, although a bit out there in its sarcastic style, offers a visual of the clichéd sexist imagery in the music industry. It references Miley Cyrus’ use of African-American backup dancers as twerking objects, and linguistically playing off Three 6 Mafia’s “It’s Hard Out Here For a Pimp.”

10. “Superwoman” – Alicia Keys

Uplifting herself and other women, simultaneously? Promoting motherhood as the strong, beautiful, and challenging experience it is? Hell yes, Alicia Keys. Even more inspiring, her latest trend of choosing to be makeup free disregards the public’s perception of beauty and perfection. It makes us realize the unnecessary standard of wearing makeup.  

11. “Bitch” – Meredith Brooks

Although not ideal, Brooks is taking ownership of the feminine derogatory word, “bitch,” and celebrating her womanhood through the title. Regardless of its negative connotations, Brooks is not afraid to reveal her true identity, and she’s not refrained by the label, either. She can be both a “bitch and a lover,” falsifying the view that women are an easily labeled, homogenous group.

12. “Flawless” – Beyoncé

Because what’s a female empowerment playlist that includes only one of Queen Bey’s songs? Are all of these songs completely, 100% perfect? No. Is the sexualization of women through pop culture’s songs, lyrics, and videos still a large problem today? Yes. But, this playlist celebrates some of the most badass singers as well as pro-women messages that everyone can get on board with.

Image Credit: Giphy

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.