10 Ways to Get Through a Kenyon Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Kenyon students, young and old, welcome to Finals Week 2013!

With Midnight Breakfast a thing of the past, it’s time to tackle one of the most stressful weeks of the year. We at HCK decided to compile a list filled with advice and amusing distractions that should help you get through finals week unscathed. We’ve got everything from quick tips to video clips, so enjoy!

1. Back up your computer. Do it, now. Take a break from reading this article, grab your external hard drive or your log into your iCloud or Dropbox account or whatever you use and backup all your files, especially the papers you’re working on right now. Last week, I opened my computer to put the finishing touches on a 15-page final paper only to find that a blank, bright grey screen had replaced the cute picture of a dog that I use as my desktop. The lovely people at the Easton Center Apple Store were able to fix the problem and return it to me 72 hours later, but this is finals week, and you don’t have that kind of time, now do you? Don’t let it happen to you. Back. It. Up.

2. Go for a walk. Yes, it’s cold outside, but leaving your cubicle for a quick bout of exercise and fresh air could do you some good. Take a friend with you, and talk about anything that does not involve

a.     being stressed
b.     what finals you’re working on
c.      what finals you still have to take
d.     how stressed you are about the finals you’re working on and the finals you still have to take

3. Find new study spots. Take a break from the library and find somewhere new to set up for a day of studying or writing. Some ideas: classrooms in the Science Quad, Ascension, or Sam Mather; the academic houses that line the road to Peirce; the bookstore; Gund ballroom. I’m almost reluctant to tell you some of these in fear that someone will find and infiltrate my favorite spot, but the holiday spirit is making me feel generous.

4. Watch this 30 second preview of “Blue”, a song from Beyoncé’s new visual album that she sneakily released last Friday without telling anyone. Classic Beyoncé. After you watch it and fall in love, by the iTunes album for $15.99, or wait patiently for the songs to make their way onto YouTube, depending on your level of Beyoncé fandom.

5. Take a study break to online Christmas shop for friends, family, and yourself! Sites like Jackthreads and Ruelala offer deep discounts for pretty cool gifts, so you should check them out!

6. Take advantage of Bookstore Finals deals. Free coffee? Half price ice cream? Yes, please.

7. Find a study buddy. If you’re stressed about a final or don’t think that you have a firm grasp on a certain subject, try meeting up with people from your class to study the material together. Talking out concepts with other people can help you figure out how much you already know and what areas you need to work on, and can double as a semi-social break from the solitary studying.

8. Listen to white noise while you read, write, or study. I personally like Simply Noise, because it’s a great (free) alternative to noise canceling headphones. It’s especially helpful when Olin turns into a social club at around 8pm every night during finals week. (see #3)

9. Check out this guide to puppy breeds and decide which one is your favorite. If anyone is thinking about getting me a new puppy, I’m really into the Australian Shepherd. Or the Sheltie. Not that I’m looking… (sorry Tucker).

10. Treat Yoself 2013:  Take a cue from Parks and Recreation and treat yourself, whatever that may mean for you. Have you been wanting to paint your nails? Treat yourself. Craving some chocolate as a study snack? Treat yourself (there are a lot of great chocolate-y snacks in the bookstore) Need a good, therapeutic cry to let off some steam? Treat yourself, but maybe warn your neighbors before you indulge in this one. Whatever you have to do to get through the week, do it, don’t hold back.

Finals week is stressful whether you have eight assignments due or one. But have no fear, the end is near! Let’s finish strong, Kenyon, we’re almost there. 

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.