10 Things To Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

With so little time left of this semester, college students’ minds wander from finals and essays to the fast-approaching days of summer. Not to provide further distraction, but here is list of things that everyone should fit in this summer. Between visiting old friends and working, make some time for these summertime classics!

1. Make popsicles: A staple of childhood, popsicles provide sweet relief from the heat. Here’s a list of gourmet popsicles that Buzzfeed came up with and look super fun, whether you want something creamy, fruity, or boozy.

2. Hit up your local farmers’ markets: Spend a sunny Saturday morning walking around a market, sampling foods and stocking up on delicious local goods. Bonus points if you befriend the hippy vendors.

3. Read as much as you can: College students read a lot: Textbooks, classic literature, academic journals, and so on. But we rarely get to read for pure enjoyment during the school year. So, raid your friends’ bookshelves or go to the public library for books that you actually want to read!

4. Buy a ridiculous summer accessory: There is a sizable list of fashion items that I have always wanted, but that seemed a little too much to try and pull off. Treat yourself to something a bit over-the-top this summer: Buy an oversized sunhat, funky sunglasses, a retro swimsuit, or floral heels.

5. Plant something: There’s nothing like summer flowers, fruit, and herbs! Whether in your backyard, a community garden, or egg crates, plant something this summer. You too can soon be the proud momma of a mini basil garden.

6. Start crafting: Go back to the “cute crafty stuff I should make” board you have on Pinterest and actually make some stuff! I probably have about 50 ideas pinned on, and I have never made a single one.

7. Pick berries: Find a farm nearby and set out with some friends to pick strawberries, blueberries, peaches, or any other summer fruit. It’s surprisingly gratifying to crouch down by the plants and fill up baskets of berries. Not to mention the pie you must make afterwards.

8. Go to a baseball game: To me, nothing says summer like a Cincinnati Reds night game. Decked out in the team colors, buy some cheap tickets for your city’s baseball team and enjoy the all-American peanuts, cheering, and butts.

9. Purge the closet: Okay, so this may be a little more practical. Use one Sunday afternoon to go through all of your clothes and give away the stuff that you don’t wear. Especially for winter items, if you didn’t wear it once this past season, it’s time to let go.

10. Be a kid: Summer was the best time as a kid. Everyone was home, there was no school, and you had utter freedom. Relive some of those old memories – toast s’mores on a bonfire, play Capture the Flag or Cops and Robbers, spend the day at the zoo, draw with sidewalk chalk, and run around your backyard barefoot.

With just a few days to go, it’s time to rally for final exams and get ready for a wonderful summer break!

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.