10 Great Things About Having Guy Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Let’s face it: we all love our girlfriends. We get ready for parties together, gossip, vent, and have crazy dance parties. Your best girl friends know all (or most of) your secrets and are always willing to give advice. When you’re feeling down in the dumps, your girls are there to pep you up. Sometimes, though, we prefer the company of the dudes we’ve become close with. Here are ten of the best things about having a group of guy friends in your social circle:

1. There’s always someone willing to order Cove/VI  food with you when you’re hungry. And they let you steal some of their mac n’ cheese wedges (provided they’re feeling generous).

2. Guys are the funniest people ever and I now have a large repertoire of dirty jokes. 

3. Two words: drama free. Unless their food is involved (see point #1).

4. You can be 100% yourself. For example, they don’t care if you don’t look your best every day.

5. They prevent creepers from hitting on you in Old Kenyon. That stink eye works wonders.

6. On the flip side, they give you honest (and practical) advice on what to do about that guy you think is kind of cute. Girl friends are good at this too, but it can be helpful to get advice from a guy’s point of view every once in a while.

7. They can help you move stuff around in your dorm room. I know this is really cliché, and some girls are insanely strong too,  but some guys are honestly just jacked.

8. They’ll make fun of you relentlessly, but will also defend you from anyone else who tries to do the same.

9. They’ll geek out with you. Whether you have a craving to watch League of Legends, Star Wars, LOTR, Tarantino films, the boys are down.

10. Epic rap battles. That is all. 

So yes, it’s true that we have many reasons to love our guy buddies. But it’s most important to remember that, no matter what gender your friends choose to identify as, at the end of the day they’ve all got your back.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.