timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why the Kardashian Decade Needs to Stop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Like many girls in our generation, I grew up watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians. I thought they should be the role models of our time, but as I grew older I realized the media shows what people WANT to see.

I’ll be the first to admit the Kardashians have made an empire for themselves. I open my social media apps and always see Kylie Cosmetics, KKW contour sticks, etc. They used their popularity to branch into a variety of individual businesses to grow an even larger empire. But the thing is that I believe fame should come from a talent, passion or success. This generation needs to learn that the way their fame was brought up was by something that young women should not look up to. Women should gain fame and success by being strong and independent. By working hard for what they aim to achieve.

After scrolling through my social media feed and seeing all of the family’s pregnancies, wealth and brands, I question: Why am I amused and intrigued by a family that does not prove hard work leads to success? I believe my own personal family bond is stronger than the Kardashians will ever be, and that proves money and fame does not result in happiness.

I believe you should give credit where credit is deserved. So my advice to you would be to focus on those in the public eye who have more to give to this world than the Kardashians ever will. Focus on life’s purpose and not on life’s fame.  

Erin Simonek

Kent State

Kent State University | Broadcast Journalism Major | Political Science/ Public Relations Minor 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.