Why Christian Siriano is going to change the fashion industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Every fashion major this previous week has been keeping up with, watching or going through gallery after gallery of their favorite designers to scope out the latest trends. Why? Because who doesn’t love New York Fashion Week? I admit I may have been hogging all of my apartment’s wifi watching these phenomenal shows. But one stood out to me over all the others – Christian Siriano’s Spring/Summer 2018 collection.  Not only was Christian’s collection stunning, but he pushed the boundaries with the models he had in his show.  

When you think of runway models, your mind automatically goes to skinny Caucasian women, but with Siriano’s show he not only had models of different sizes, but he had models of different ethnicity and gender. He truly made a point and it looks as though the direction of the fashion industry is changing.

Pictured above are just some of the models he used in his show. Siriano named his show Psychedelic Greenhouse and said in an interview, “I wanted to take everyone for this 13 minutes to a transformative place. A lot of the conceptual looks came from my idea that we all grow in the same greenhouse, so I have a lot of diversity on the runway: men, trans, small, large, everyone.”

This show truly was a sight to see and it will definitely wake up society and hopefully show that fashion is for everyone, no matter what size or gender you are.  Thank you Christian for taking such a huge step towards changing the fashion industry! There is no doubt that soon more designers will incorporate models like Siriano used in their future shows.

Shelby Rabideaux is currently attending Kent State University. She is majoring in Digital Media Production and will have a minor in Fashion Media. Her love for entertainment and film came from actively going to concerts. She currently is on a TV show called The Blurb that focuses on entertainment news that her school produces. She dreams to be able to inspire others like how she was inspired. Shelby is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kent State and the President where she strives to share her love for Her Camps with the Kent community. 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.