nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Change can be a daunting, intimidating factor that must happen throughout everyone’s life. It happens to everyone, whether we like it or not. While my type of personality is a daring, adventurous one who sees change happening around her constantly, I still fear the thought of a dramatic change that takes me out of my comfort zone. When you think of change? Does it scare you? Does it excite you? Do you constantly need change to keep yourself busy or do you avoid it as much as you can? When I think of change, I think of my life evolving. Some upcoming changes in my life would be taking on my first professional internship, studying abroad and being closer to college graduation than high school graduation. While these opportunities scare the hell out of me, I know that I am evolving myself to individualize myself from others, to improve my personal brand.  

Now sometimes the type of change someone is going through is something they do not want for themselves. Maybe they got fired from a job, or their relationship just ended or they found out someone close to them was sick. While I am a firm believer than everything happens for a reason, sometimes it can be hard to wrap your mind around why a specific event has happened to you. Everyone’s lifeline of their lives is different. Some may squeeze through life by a breeze and others may constantly be hit with life-changing trials that test their patience and tolerance with life’s changes. Remember that whatever type of change is thrown at you, it shapes you into the person you should become. That concept was hard for me to wrap my head around, as I’ve seen death in my family and watched ones close to me experience their lowest points. I question why fate must hurt us to allow us to keep going, and this evolves around the constant changes happening in our lives. Throughout my lifetime, I have survived every change that I’ve experienced, allowing me to gain wisdom, knowledge, understanding- the list goes on.

I don’t want to sound like I’m preaching to the choir, but take my advice to accept any change thrown at you and to take every opportunity given to you. I’d be lying if I said living in Italy for 4 month didn’t scare me or if I don’t fear my parents aging, but life is literally a book, a story that only you can tell. The change I’ve granted to myself in my life has allowed me to become the person I’ve always wanted to be. Sure, change is intimidating, but it’s bound to happen, so all we can do as human beings is to take it and learn from it. 

Erin Simonek

Kent State

Kent State University | Broadcast Journalism Major | Political Science/ Public Relations Minor 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.