This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

You’ve probably clicked on this article with hopes that you will be given tips on how to use Apple Cider Vinegar to get a flat tummy in no time. Well, sorry to mislead you, but I’m not writing to go on and on about good things about apple cider vinegar, I am here to update you on the bad. But, don’t close this tab just yet, bear with me, you need to be informed on what you may have already started putting in your body.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), an acidic liquid made from fermented apples, has plenty of uses. One of the most well-known is that it helps with weight control, aids digestion and speeds up your metabolism. While struggling to find a workout regimen and a good diet plan in college, I believed investing a few dollars on this so called “miracle drink” was a no brainer. I thought I finally had all the keys to successfully beating the freshman 15! Unfortunately, it’s easy to get caught up with fad diets or products without doing your full-on research (I often fail at this). Eventually, I decided ACV was too good to be true (despite the taste). Soon after, I went seeking for the dangers of Apple Cider Vinegar. I learned because of its acidity, drinking apple cider vinegar can lead to tooth enamel and stomach ulcers.

Tanya Falcone, registered and licensed dietician, and professor for the Science of Nutrition class at Kent State states, “The negative side effects of the Apple Cider Vinegar, especially on an empty stomach, because it is so acidic and mixing with the Hydrochloric acid can cause ulcers in your stomach. It can also cause a lot of reflux, so a lot of acids can move up into your esophagus, which can cause it to erode. Acidic foods especially on an empty stomach can be super dangerous. Now, if you put ACV on a salad you make it some of the very minimal amounts of benefits, but you must have an overall healthy diet. If you’re eating crappy every day and you mix it with the ACV it’s not going to do a thing. Overall, with the combination of a healthy diet and used the right way we can potentially see some overall benefits”.

Again, to avoid being at high risk of any dangers that consuming Apple Cider Vinegar can bring try incorporating it into your diet in different ways—like for salads, or remember to dilute it with lots of water. Also, while drinking it with water, make sure you use a straw (to avoid contact with the teeth), and thoroughly clean your teeth to avoid tooth enamel.

Other ways to use it :

A hair rinse– It will cleanse your scalp and make your hair shine.

A teeth whitener- By gargling it, the vinegar helps remove stains from your teeth and clean the mouth.

A facial toner- Mix ACV with water you can apply it to your skin with a cotton pad, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse.

A treatment for sunburn– With a washcloth pat ACV gently on the burned area.

Overall, don’t feel like you must stop consuming Apple Cider Vinegar altogether; Just make sure you are using it properly. Matter of fact, if you haven’t, invest in buying this staple house hold product and try out the other ways listed to use it above.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.