This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

This year at New York Fashion Week, designers took a stand and truly expressed every ounce of their feelings into their work. It was about so much more than the clothes. As controversial as some of the political garments may seem, this made for a spectacular round of shows. Through some of the garments you’ll see designers taking a stand for human rights, female empowerment and taking a stand against the Muslim ban.

Christian Siriano released a t-shirt down the runway that read, “People are People.” On his website, now available for purchase, all profits of the sales will go directly to the ACLU. (American Civil Liberties Union)

Tome NYC, the women’s wear line turned heads at fashion week with their support of Planned Parenthood and the Women’s March on their own shirts after they made a statement on the runway. A group of female artists known as the Guerilla Girls created the piece of artwork which Tome NYC placed on the back of a jacket that had all of NYFW talking.

Chloe Gosselin, Diane Von Furstenberg and any attendee at the Adam Selman fashion show was given and then wore a pin that reads “Fashion Stands With Planned Parenthood.”

Halima Aden, a 19-year-old Somali American, made history wearing her own black hijab in Yeezy season 5. Making her own statement that race and religion is never discriminated when on the runway. Work it girl.

#TiedTogether was a staple piece at this year’s NYFW. The movement is a way for the fashion community to come together; not to make a political statement, but to stand united for the humanity of our world. The movement supports the ACLU and UNHCR (UN Refugee Agency) to bond us all beyond race, sexuality, gender and religion. If you’re flipping through photos from New York Fashion Week you’ll see the white bandana during Tommy Hilfiger’s show and on many models throughout fashion week.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.