Style > Beauty

Melanated Hues: an All Natural Beauty Company

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

When you visit Sephora, you’re probably going to be tempted to stock up on the latest beauty products that promise thicker eyelashes, defined eyebrows and clearer skin. However, most of these products can’t pinky promise that their ingredients are actually good for you. Plus, they’re not easy on your bank account either. Kent State graduates Selah Ashe and Kenae Hughes started their own beauty company, Melanated Hues, last fall. This brand is dedicated to giving their customers affordable beauty products that are made from natural ingredients. Check out the interview below to learn more about the company and get a sneak peak of products that are soon to come! 

Her Campus: What made you ladies decide to start a beauty company? 

Ashe and Hughes:  We are both into health/holistic care and trying to find affordable products for skin and hair was very difficult. Like the average college student, we didn’t have funds to buy expensive products. We refused to buy products from the shelf, aware of all the health issues the chemicals and ingredients can cause. We were roommates during our senior year in college and we started making our own personal products in our own home. Buying everything in bulk and creating our own deodorant and lotion was less expensive then buying products in the store that were beneficial for skin. We are also into giving back to the community. So, we wanted to make products that were healthy and affordable for people who could not afford the expensive things in life.

HC:  How did you come up with the name “Melanated Hues?” 

AH: We were in the process of changing and transitioning from our former name (Seken) when we came up with Melanated Hues. Everyone has melanin with a different hue. So, we thought it would be a great fit for our motto “Own your hue” meaning own who you are, take care of yourself mentally, physically, spiritually, love the skin you are in and love the color of your skin. You are in control of yourself. 

HC: What were some of the challenges you two faced when starting your company? 

AH: Trial and error. We created many different recipes, wasted a lot of money, we even had one of our recipes turn into mold when we were trying to do water based products at the time. We were also in school, so of course time management, commitment and focus were challenges.

HC: How did you learn how to make body butter?

AH:Research, trial and error. You can do all the research you want when creating something, but if you don’t try different things on your own and make mistakes, you will never be satisfied. 

HC: What are some of you favorite natural ingredients and why?

Ashe: My favorite is jojoba oil because it mimics a mixture of oils and it balances the moisture on my skin.

Hughes: I think my favorite is coconut oil because you can use it for a variety of things such as toothpaste, body butter, moisturizer, hair conditioner and as a healing agent. 

HC: Will Melanated Hues have other products besides body butter and if so, when should customers expect to see them?

AH: Yes. Shampoo/body wash/face wash 3-in-1 will be available on our website soon. We are also trying to perfect the recipes for conditioner, oil hair mixture and mascara. 

HC: What are your goals for the company over the next few months? 

AH: We hope to gain a tremendous following and influence people to be physically, mentally and spiritually healthy. 

HC: Is there anything else we should know?

AH: We just want to influence and inspire the world and those who need a reminder to love themselves. Taking care of yourself starts with the minimum effort, the small things. OwnYourHue. 

To keep up with the latest updates from Melanated Hues, follow them on social media!

Facebook: @Melanated Hues LLC

Twitter: @melanatedhues

Instagram: @melanatedhues

Jillian Holness is a senior magazine journalism major. She enjoys buying too many lipsticks, thinking about brunch and daydreaming about staring in one of Rihanna's music videos.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.