This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As we advance in our college careers, many of us will begin to apply for internships. It’s obvious that you’ll need a great resume and some experience in order to get the job, but what else are bosses looking for? More and more, potential employers are checking out applicants’ social media accounts to see how they present themselves in the public sphere. Keep these 5 dos and don’ts in mind as you make the transition into the professional world.

1. DO: Use a modest profile picture that accurately portrays you.

A profile picture is the first thing that a potential employer will be looking at so make that selfie count! Avoid piling every Insta filter there ever was on your picture so that you look like you. If you’re having trouble deciding what’s appropriate and what’s not, try to dress/style yourself the same way you would for an interview.

2. DON’T: Use profanity excessively.

We’re all adults here; we know people swear. That being said, it is very off-putting when every post/tweet looks like this: *!@#$ &#!??* An employer wants to know that you can communicate with professionalism and dignity.

3. DO: Fill out your bios.

Potential employers don’t look at your social media sites because they’re curious as to who your #MCM is; they want to learn more about you. Use this opportunity to share a few positive facts that didn’t make it onto your resume. It’s also important to update this info frequently so that it is as accurate as possible.

4. DON’T: Advertise your drinking habits.

Sharing picture of you having fun with your friends shows that you are social, outgoing, and personable. Most employers would agree; however, that pictures including the infamous red Solo cups and shot glasses are not appropriate for anyone claiming to be a professional. When in doubt, keep your partying life private!

5. DO: Showcase your communication skills.

Employers need to know that you can do more than just use witty hashtags. Using proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling show that you are knowledgeable and care about your work.

Use social media to advertise how great you are!  

Senior public relations major with a passion for writing and all things beauty.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.