jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Dear teenaged Olivia,

First things first, One Direction “broke” up. Devastating, I know… You’ll cry about it for a few months, but eventually you’ll get over it. On the plus side, Harry Styles releases a solo album soon after and everything feels right in the world again, so don’t stress out too much.

Second, I’m writing this letter as a 20-year-old sophomore in college at Kent State University. Yes, you’ll finally make a college decision after dragging your poor mom to New York City and California for college visits. Turns out all your big dreams to leave boring Ohio behind didn’t actually come true after all, but trust me, you still plan to leave after college. You currently feel like an outsider in this state and that will never change, just hang in there. For a while you’re going to be really confused on what to do with your life and that’s okay. Don’t let anyone tell you that you need to figure out what you want to do with your life when you’re young. They’re wrong. Decide on your own time and do what makes YOU happy, not what makes the people around you happy. You’ll soon learn you can’t please everyone.

Through college you’ll gain some amazing friends, and you’ll distance yourself from friends you always thought you’d be friends with. You’ll soon learn that it’s for the best and you’ll be happier in the end. I know that right now you feel so alone in the world. You feel like no one understands you, and you’re doomed to be miserable for the rest of your life. Girl, that’s far from the truth. Although it takes time and you’re still not quite there, you will learn to love yourself. You’ll eventually stop the constant self-critism, and you’ll stop fearing mirrors and having to look at yourself. You’ll get those braces off eventually and have a great smile because of them. Also, you’re going to make some terrible fashion choices. It will humble you later in life, but just know that red skinny jeans with rainbow high-tops will never be cool. Please stop the “trend” while you’re ahead.

You’re going to face some challenges in life that will make you look at the world differently. You’re going to question everything in life, and you’re going to be confused. Your parents divorcing will make you lose trust in many things and many people; it’s going to be one of the hardest times you’ll have deal with in life. But I’m telling you now that it’s also going to make you such a stronger person in the future. You’re going to form an amazing bond with your mom because of it. You’re going to have to grow up real fast and deal with issues you shouldn’t have to deal with at such a young age. But you deal with them with maturity and as best as you can for your age. Remember: It’s okay to fall back on your friends when you need someone to listen to you. 

Don’t put everything on Twitter! There are some things people don’t need to know… Pay attention in school and listen to your teachers. You’ll soon learn that your GPA won’t get you into your dream school, and you’ll have no one to blame but yourself. Don’t be afraid to cry. It’s miserable holding it all in, and you’re going to explode with emotions if you don’t let it out when you can. Don’t let your friends and the people around you walk all over you because they know they can. Stand up for yourself, and don’t be afraid to speak your mind. Never be afraid of your beliefs and speaking them out. Not everyone is going to agree with them, but you’ll be a force to reckon with. It’s nearly impossible to persuade the older generation to see things the way you do, but that surely doesn’t stop you. Trust me, I know.

Never stop loving as much as you do, never lose complete faith in people and never lose sight of who you truly are. Don’t be afraid to shatter the glass ceiling. Also, don’t let anyone tell you that you take too many naps. That’s not humanly possible.

Love,

Your smarter, wiser and prettier self.

A sophomore at Kent State University majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion media. I love to workout and hang out with friends and hike! I love reading and writing about fashion, health, and relationships and how to balance your life in college.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.