jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter to the Broken Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Dear Friend,

I’ve heard you’ve recently broken up with the one you cared about most… For starters, I’m sorry for the long road ahead and the emotional obstacles you’ll have to overcome. It’s never easy saying goodbye to the one you thought was going to be your forever and always. You took the time to let someone in and give them everything: your secrets, your scars and your whole heart. But now he’s gone. You probably feel hurt, conflicted, alone and scared. You wonder where he is, how he is and if he’s okay. You wonder if he’s thinking the same about you, but then realize he walked away when given the opportunity. He didn’t fight to stay with you or work things through. A man that walks away is not someone you should worry or care about. He’s not someone that deserves your love.

He’s gone for a reason, right? If he really cared about you and thought of you as his everything, he would have fought to stay. He would have worked with you to grow rather than crumble. But again, what did he choose to do? He’s obviously not someone you deserve. You deserve a man that’s going to work with you, fight for your relationship and give 100 percent just as you do. Aren’t these the reasons why you broke up with him? If he doesn’t give you his all, then he isn’t worth your time.

I’m going to be blunt and honest with you, girl. You broke up with him, and he didn’t seem to mind it. With that being said, breaking up was the best decision you could have made. Not only for yourself, but for him too. If a relationship gradually becomes toxic, it’s best to end it now rather than later. You both needed to take a step back and breathe. This is the time to figure out what each of you want in life and in a partner. It may seem difficult and like he doesn’t care right now, but he really does and always will. Whether you see it or not, he’s just as hurt and conflicted as you are. He puts on a tough act because that’s what guys do.

It’s going to be tough my friend, and it will be for a while. It takes time to heal from a loss, especially when it’s someone you cared so deeply about. It’s not going to be an easy road from here on out. There will be numerous detours throughout the journey, but it’s what’s for the best; for you and him. If the relationship is meant to be, you’ll both find your way back to one another and work through the mistakes each of you made, but it takes time. And the best advice I can give you is to not depend on the possibility of him coming back and changing. It’s a rare happening, and it depends on what true colors he sheds. You can always hope for the best, but the best thing to do is move forward and think about your happiness because that’s what matters most in this long journey ahead.

You’ll be alright, girl. Keep your chin up and enjoy the little things life brings you.

Love,

A girl like you.

Shelbie studies journalism at Kent State University, while also concentrating in fashion media and writing. She’s a true coffee addict and enthusiast. You can easily find her at a local coffee shop or the campus library. Her career goals include working within the publishing industry, becoming a travel writer and voicing the voiceless in her work. She’s excited to work with Her Campus and see what’s in store for the Kent State chapter.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.