Katie Kimble: Emerging Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Katie Kimble is an entrepreneur, and the epitome of girl power. As a full-time student at Kent State University, Kimble has successfully launched a jewelry business as well as balancing club commitments and philanthropy work. She’s passionate, committed, and optimistic. Her Campus was able to sit down and experience her radiant presence to talk about how she manages a business and school.

Name: Katie Kimble

Year: Senior

Major/minor: Entrepreneurship/Marketing

Hometown: Rocky River, Ohio

Business Name: Beach Blonde Blue Bikini

Her Campus: So why start a business in jewelry?

Katie Kimble: Well, it all started as a hobby. My brother was in and out of surgery (he has cerebral palsy). We were stuck at home a lot so my mom and I wanted to start something we could do together. My mom had started to look at vintage jewelry that people in the family had given her and we started to deconstruct pieces and see if we could make more modern alternatives mixing the vintage components with modern elements. I started designing pieces and it was a lot of fun. I started wearing the jewelry and people would come up to me and say things like, “Oh, I really like that, where did you get it from?” and when I’d tell them I made it, sometimes people would offer to buy it from me on the spot. It is great fun to make one of a kind pieces. Finally, a professor said why wouldn’t you make this a business so I gave it a try.

HC: What kind of jewelry do you make?

KK: When I started my business, Beach Blonde Blue Bikini, I started out making things I would wear out of mixed metals like sterling silver, antique gold, copper as well as Swarovski crystals, Amazonite and the biggest trend, long leather wraps.  

I also became a greek licensed vendor which was quite a process. Licensing requires national approval and a fee to each represented sorority.  Once licensed, I started the ‘Sorority Belle’ collection for eight sororities on Kent campus. I can sell to any of these eight sororities even at other campuses across the country. As interest and order requests increase from other sororities, I will need to get licensing approval. I hope that happens. The whole collection, which uses freshwater pearls and sterling silver was made to give girls a classic look that’s also personalized for each sorority.  They’re all handmade which gives it extra personality.    

HC: How has the company grown since December?

KK: Testing the waters, I did one Pop Up Shop in November and in December I did a home open house. I got such a great response. Working on a website, building social media and making pieces has been challenging in between classes and other commitments but I like being busy. Now, I have done one more pop-up shop and I will be doing the Kent Arts & Wine festival in June. I didn’t realize the protocol for participating in these fun and unique events. After submitting an application, a jury selects the artists who will participate so it’s not a given. I was lucky enough to be chosen as an artist to participate in the festival. It’s exciting. I have my eyes set on the Tremont Arts & Cultural Festival in September and I am planning on taking road trips to Nashville, Charleston and Charlotte as well. Focus on advertising through social media and campus reps is in the works.  

HC: Who were your biggest supporters and influences?

KK: Definitely my family, my mom especially has always encouraged me. All my professors in entrepreneurship, too, have been supportive and helpful with their vast experiences and commitment to sharing. Launchnet too has been a great support in promoting entrepreneurs and helping to coordinate showcase opportunities. It is so important to have this support. Emma Kennell at Carnaby Street invited me to collaborate with her for a Spring shopping event and it was such fun. Her support was immeasurable. She really is a great business mentor, right here in Kent.  

HC: So what is the hardest part about running a business?

KK: Being a small business is so cool because it’s all your vision, but it’s also a challenge. In order to save money, you do most things yourself. An obstacle I have dealt with is in photographing jewelry. I am learning about what works and what doesn’t and I’m not a pro, but I like when it comes together. Also, it’s difficult trying to be everything to everybody. I try to keep things at price points that are reasonable. While many of my pieces have been said to rival Sundance in look and price, some of the price points are a stretch for a college student so selling is a challenge at times. Still, I am committed to making unique and sustainable pieces that can be paired with other jewelry.

HC: How do you give back to community?

KK: It can be a dog eat dog world, so the first thing I do is try to shop small whenever possible. I want to help the business owner who is doing their thing so they can send their daughter to dance lessons and have the flexibility to be a room mom or dad. I love the small business venture. I always shout them out and promote them when I can. I like to embody the motto, “Give back entrepreneurs”.

But my individual efforts include volunteering with Main Street Kent and Kent Social Services in Kent. I love knowing as students we can still make an impact on others. On campus, it’s been Flashanthropy, campus kitchen, NSLS blankets for babies and the Women’s Center. Also, participating in blood drives is a chance to save lives and when you do, Kent State gets money for scholarships.

Seasonally, I serve lunches at the Westside Catholic Center and assist families in need at the Oxcart Food Pantry in North Olmsted.  

Finally, with every pop up shop or special event, I do a 10% give back from whatever I sell. Most recently, that was for the March for Babies through the March of Dimes.

I simply believe that we all have an opportunity to make the world better. It just takes one… one act, one hour, one dollar, one can…it all starts with one good thing.

She came, she saw and she conquered Kent State; Katie Kimble will be graduating this May, but her jewelry business is not slowing down here in Kent. Kimble plans to continue selling here as well as introducing ‘Sorority Belle’ to other campuses across Ohio, along with her jewelry from Beach Blonde Blue Bikini. For anyone interested in her handmade (and can I add, absolutely stunning) accessories, here are the website and social media handles below:

Website: www.beachblindebluebikini.com

Instagram: Beachblondebluebikini 

Twitter: @bluebikinigirl 

Public Relations major with a political science minor. When not in coffee shops catching up on homework and writing, I'm usually covered in a blanket watching Planet Earth drinking a mango smoothie.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.