How to Survive the Hell Weeks Between Thanksgiving and Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

We’re at the home stretch of the semester. Thanksgiving and winter break seem so close yet so far away. Combined with the fact that these next few weeks contain important exams, papers and projects, the holidays couldn’t seem further away. Unfortunately, it’s the reality for all college students, so turn up your Christmas Spotify playlist, because we’re going to end these weeks with a bang.

1. Breathe.

With all of this stress piling up between final exams, papers and projects, you may become so overwhelmed you forget to breathe! If you find yourself procrastinating for too long, but your heart races when you even think about the work you have to start, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you’ve done it before and you’ll do it again.

2. Take everything step by step.

Before you freak out thinking about all of your projects and exams, put them on a timeline and work along it. If your English paper is due the weekend before finals week, get the paper done first so you’re not taking up time to study for other exams that weekend. Planning your work out will make it a lot easier for you to prioritize it all, and succeed in the long run.

3. If you’re going to procrastinate, be productive!

If you really need a break, you may as well be productive with it! Go to the gym to relieve stress, get coffee with a friend, or even consider getting some Christmas shopping done. Nothing’s worse than being at the mall days before Christmas trying to scramble for last minute gifts for everyone. Get it done early by online shopping or taking a quick trip with your friends. You’ll thank yourself for it later.

4. Watch the caffeine.

As tempting as it may be, getting Starbucks two or three times a day is not the healthiest option. Along with the excessive sugar, too much caffeine can cause you to become more anxious and won’t allow you to focus. You’re better off taking a break when needed, or even listening to a focus playlist to keep you in the zone. Overworking yourself is not productive in the long-run, and will leave you more drained than you began.

5. Think about the relaxing break ahead of you–and let it motivate you.

Thanksgiving is always a nice taste of the holidays, but also leaves you wanting more. Think about the holidays you get to spend with family and friends you haven’t seen in a while, and allow it to motivate you to get through these couple of weeks. Lounging in front of the fireplace while petting your dogs will feel a lot better after accomplishing everything college has thrown at you. You can do it!

Bridgett Martinez is a sophomore Teaching English as a Second Language major with a Theatre Performance and Educatino minor at Kent State University. She enjoys writing, acting, and going home solely to play with her puppies. She plans on teaching English abroad and in the States, but would also love to teach theatre and music. She hopes to write and direct her own plays some day, as well as help children cultivate a love for theatre. 
Corinne Zielinski

Kent State '18

.