This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Harvard recently passed a policy about how members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations (USGSO) will not be permitted to hold leadership positions in recognized student organizations or on athletic teams. They will also not be eligible for letters of recommendation from the dean of Harvard College. #HearHerHarvard is a movement impacting the women of Greek organizations all across the country. Sorority women across the nation are currently supporting Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta and Kappa Kappa Gamma at Harvard University. 

This policy could possibly push people away from being a part of Greek life. Being in a sorority is much more than people realize. That’s why women around the country are coming together and posting #WithoutMySorority, which shows these organizations mean different things to each member . 

Currently 26 sororities are in the National Panhellenic Conference. This is the umbrella organization that was formed in 1902, and it looks over all of the sororities in the conference. The National Panhellenic Conference donates more than 5 million dollars to worthy organizations annually, and they volunteer over 500,000 community service hours. So I wonder… Why would someone limit women who have the motivation to make an impact on our world? Why would someone limit women who support each other and personally impact the communities around them? 

Being in a sorority is more than just the organization itself. A sorority encourages its members to get involved in other clubs and events in the community. Many of the women in these organizations pride themselves on being well rounded and well educated. Personally, being a member of an all-female organization has changed my life for the better. The pictures above mention a few of the amazing things that come out of being in an all-female organization. While being in a sorority, I have met some of the most amazing, inspiring and motivational women. These women are constantly pushing boundaries and caring about the people around them. I find it crazy that limiting these strong women is even an option. One thing I do know is that the women and men in these single-gender organizations at Harvard will not go down without a fight. As long as this policy is in place, I can guarantee sorority women across the country will continue to stand up for the women at Harvard. 

Emily Wiegand is a junior early childhood education major with a special education minor at Kent State University. She is from Amherst, Ohio and loves to spend her extra time drinking iced coffee, or eating gummy worms. She enjoys listening to her favorite podcasts, journaling under a fuzzy blanket, and planning her whole week in her planner. She is looking forward to pursuing her love for writing on Her Campus. In the future, Emily wants to be a 1st grade teacher and she wants to leave her mark on the world by inspiring those around her.          
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.