toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Candy: The Good, The Bad, and The Deadly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

October is the only month out of the year when we can eat up to five pieces of “fun sized” candy a day without even realizing it. Innocent jack-o-lantern candy baskets filled with temptations decorate building offices on campus, the break room at work, and your BFF’s kitchen counter.  We know reaching your hand into the basket of goodies inevitable, so we’ve sorted out what candy will do less damage to your physique.

The Good

Smarties

Fat free and with only 6 grams of sugar and 25 calories per roll, be smart and go for the Smarties.

Haribo Mini Gummi Bears

50 calories, 0 fat, 7 grams of sugar. Yes, yes, and yes.

Payday Snack Size Bars

With only 1 gram of saturated fat and 8 grams of sugar, we say Paydays are safe because peanuts are healthy….right?

The Bad

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Snack Size

110 calories for two bites. Equivalent to doing 20 minutes of yoga, no one has time to do yoga and then un-do yoga. So just do yoga. And don’t do Reese’s.

Kit Kat Fun Sized

Give us a break! There are 73 calories and 7 grams of sugar in just one stick. So just kidding, don’t break us off a piece of your Kit Kat bar.

Butterfinger Fun Sized

At 100 calories and 10% of your daily value of saturated fat, it would be wise to steer clear of this candy trap.

The Deadly

Twix Snack Sized Bars

A “fun sized” Twix packs 3 grams of saturated fat (the dreaded lower belly fat) into their cookie caramely-chocolately candy bar. That’s 15% of your recommended intake of sat fat. We’ll pass.

Popcorn balls

Fun and festive, but they’ll stab you in the back. These little demons can pack as much as 30 grams of sugar into just one baseball-sized serving. That’s equal to two bowls of ice cream. BYE.

Hershey’s Cookies n’ Crème Snack Size

At first glance, 66 calories, 6 grams of sugar, and 3 grams of fat doesn’t sound that  deadly. However, read the ingredients. Do you see white chocolate in there? Yeah, neither do we.

Now don’t worry. We know its already halfway through October and you’ve probably already noshed on half of these no-no’s. The solution? Click here

Junior Fashion Merchandising student at Kent State University. Lover of Pilates, Sex and the City, Decorating, Entertaining, Marie Claire, Thai food, the Olsen twins, Christmas, and Traveling.