This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Bent Tree Coffee Roasters

This is one of the most well-known coffees in Kent! Bent Tree roasts multiple, unique flavors for almost every buyer in Kent and beyond. They are pretty much the coffee brand of Kent, Ohio. Bent Tree is seen everywhere: the University, local restaurants and even your own home. Other coffee shops in Kent also carry Bent Tree coffee, but they each get their own unique roast to serve. So no matter where you go, the coffee will never be the same.

Although this brand is known everywhere, not many college students know the shops location. It’s a bit a ways downtown, but it’s worth the distance. If you’re ever feeling adventurous enough to roam Water Street, you’re bound to find this retro shop. It’s got a hipster, soft rock vibe inside. It’s a great café to relax and hang with friends rather than study.

Here, I like to get their Foxtrot Tea. It has a unique flavor of spices that is relaxing and soothing to the mind. It’s the perfect drink once fall weather starts to come around!

Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse

Who wouldn’t want to enjoy a thrift bookstore and coffee shop all in one? This little gem is hidden on Kent’s famous Main Street in the center of downtown. It’s a great hangout spot for friends, and it’s the perfect place to go on a date. The best part about this shop is once you get your coffee, you can explore the bookstore and look for a good find. They have numerous books, records, comics and more to wander through. It’s the perfect shop to have a little fun rather than relax and study.

Here, I prefer their espresso selections. They are short, bitter and perfect for conversations. This is a drink that allows you to take your time and savor every sip of the coffee.

Scribbles Coffee Co.

If you like flavorful, syrup filled specialty drinks…then this is the place to be. This coffee shop has drinks that make your taste spuds spin. They have a large selection to choose from, so you’ll never have to get the same drink twice. Plus, the pastries they serve are mouthwatering and worth a try. This shop is a popular study spot in downtown Kent, and it’s a great place to hang out with friends. It’s got a trendy hipster vibe that keeps you relaxed and content while enjoying your time here.

I prefer their light roast coffee the most, but all of their drinks are satisfying.  A great drink to start with would be a Junior Bolt, which is a short and sweet 8 ounce drink that contains an abundance of savory flavors.

Tree City

The atmosphere of this café is extremely unique. They have signature and seasonal drinks that are amazingly delectable. They also serve food such as bagels, overnight oats, desserts, snacks and peanut butter sandwiches. Fun fact: their peanut butter is homemade! This is the place to go for coffee dates, brunch or even hanging out with friends. It’s definitely a great place to study too, but good luck finding a seat! Tree City is a popular café and they are always packed during the school year.

The drink I prefer here would be their signature Maple Macchiato. I’ve never been a fan of maple syrup, but it tastes phenomenal! I also like to get there peanut butter sandwiches and overnight oats every now and then. The food they serve is fantastic and worth the price.

This school year, adventure away from the library and find a cozy spot downtown to review your flash cards! Grab a few of your gal pals, or even that cute dude from class, and go on your very own Kent coffee tour! 

Shelbie studies journalism at Kent State University, while also concentrating in fashion media and writing. She’s a true coffee addict and enthusiast. You can easily find her at a local coffee shop or the campus library. Her career goals include working within the publishing industry, becoming a travel writer and voicing the voiceless in her work. She’s excited to work with Her Campus and see what’s in store for the Kent State chapter.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.