gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bringing meaning to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Valentine’s Day. A day that couples love, but single people can’t stand. But when you actually take a second to think about February 14th, what makes it so special? Are we supposed to shower our lovers with presents, or take them out to a fancy dinner?

If you go to any store in the United States and you’ll see shelves stacked with teddy bears, heart shaped containers with chocolate in it, small gifts, valentines day cards, candy and much much more. Restaurants will decorate their interior with hearts, cupid and put candles at every table to make it a little more romantic for Valentine’s Day. I can’t imagine how much money stores and restaurants make during this holiday. Is this really what was meant for Valentine’s Day? I believe that people have lost the meaning of this holiday. It shouldn’t be about what kind of gift you can give your lover or what kind of restaurant you’re going to take them to. That’s what anniversaries are for. Valentine’s Day is supposed to be dedicated to your significant other.

Meaning that you focus on each other. Not the gifts or materialistic things. Granted, you should appreciate your SO everyday; on Valentine’s Day it should be extra special. You can give your lover gifts any day of the week. On V-Day you could make them a handmade gift, take turns saying your favorite things about each other, take the day off and have a movie marathon, go volunteer somewhere or have a game night. You could make Valentine’s Day so much more special than it just being about chocolate and going out to eat. Start a new tradition!!

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.