brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Are you a slacktivist?

Most don’t even know what that word means, but many of us have encountered them on our Twitter timelines, Facebook feeds and other social media. Oxford dictionary defines slacktivism as “actions performed via the Internet in support of a political or social cause but regarded as requiring little time or involvement, e.g., signing an online petition or joining a campaign group on a social media website.”

In light of the recent attacks in Paris, profile pictures across social media feeds have been filtered in the French flag and Twitter is littered with #PrayforParis and thousands of people expressing their sorrow and anger. Critics of slacktivism are unimpressed with this show for support because this “effortless catharsis… doesn’t seem to do anything.

“Slacktivism” already has a negative connotation with the word “slack” thrown in there, but experts find that slacktivism, or digital activism, has produced some real world results. University of Central Florida social media researcher Stephanie Vie, Ph.D. believes that although digital activism has a long way to go, the possible changes it could result in should not be ignored.

“We can critique it, or we can try and make it better, but we should never shut it down.” Vie said. “Slacktivism sounds like you’re immediately dismissing the potential for actual impact….”

Integrating digital activism with platforms that are somehow able to translate that passion into monetary contributions would be a start.

“If Facebook or Twitter, which are massive, could throw their powerful weight behind telling people not only ‘We want you to change your profile picture to support Paris” but also ‘We want you to support the Paris red Cross, here’s a quick and easy button to do that’ – that would be fantastic.”

The ALS Ice Bucket challenge has previously been cited as one of the most successful digital activism campaigns. According to Forbes.com, the Ice Bucket Challenge helped raise over $100 million in donations and those funds have lead to a breakthrough in research that could help treat the disease.

Another example of slacktivism success is the #blacklivesmatter social media movement. While a hashtag can’t solve the issue, it can lead discussion, and for a controversial topic such as police brutality and racial inequality, discussion is key. One online petition was even able to have the Confederate flag removed from South Carolina’s capitol.

Aside from helping raise money and prompting change through discussion, what others see to be “slacktivism” is a human reflex. One of the seven kinds of love is called agape and it is the love of humanity. It’s the kind of love that makes us “sorrowful when we hear of a crisis in another nation… [it] makes us feel connected to people we don’t know on the basis of our shared experience as human beings.”

While those that drone on about “slacktivism” mean well, trying to transform the discussion ultimately takes focus away from the real issues at hand.

What do you think of “slacktivism”? Do you consider yourself a “slacktivist”? 

Hello! My name is Gabrielle, but I go by Gael and I am a junior public relations major. I'm a Filipino American with a love for traveling and I've lived in Manila, Shanghai and Ohio. When I'm not writing for Her Campus, I'm writing for Flash Communications. You can also find me blogging, tweeting and whatever else comes with maintaining my multitude of online presences (and Her Campus' as well). I also enjoy shopping, obsessing over Star Wars, puppies, making videos for my youtube channel and buying too many books than I have time for. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the internet! xx
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.