7 Things To Do During Spring Break That Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Spring break is right around the corner, and I can feel the excitement in the air. Most college students are ecstatic to bathe in the sun, dance with strangers and forget about their courses. Spring break is, as Gob Bluth from “Arrested Development” once said, the “favorite holiday.”

Although most people my age will be enjoying spring break on the beach or in a foreign location, I will be stuck in Ohio. If you are like me, you know it is incredibly tempting to want to splurge on something at home during spring break, especially after seeing your friends blow through money for a spring break trip. You may want to get a tattoo or spend a lot of money at the bars.

Hold off on your spending. There is a lot more you can do for spring break that will be fun and won’t break the bank. Here are some ideas:

1)  Go on a nature walk

There are tons of beautiful parks in Ohio that can be discovered. If the weather is beautiful, why not explore your backyard? You can even take some wonderful pictures and post on Instagram along with your friends who are sunbathing in Florida.

2) Volunteer

Sometimes it feels good to do good for others. There are tons of different ways you can volunteer your time and talents during your spring break. Many schools even have alternate spring break trips. Talk to your academic advisor to learn about how you can make a difference in a short period of time!

3) Sit outside and read that book you have been putting off

If you live in Ohio, like me, sometimes the weather can be temperamental. However, sometimes the odds are in my favor and the weather turns out to be beautiful. If you experience a beautiful day, sit on a chair or a bench outside, pour yourself a glass of iced tea and read the book you have not had time to read during the semester. (I personally recommend Amy Poehler’s “Yes Please”! It is hilarious and will inspire you.)

4) Swim at your local rec center

You may feel slightly bummed to not be swimming with your friends at the beach, but a rec swimming pool can help wash away those spring break blues. Swimming at your local rec should also be an inexpensive way to detox and relax.

5) Go see Beauty and the Beast

Do you have nothing going on one night during spring break? You finally have a chance to go see the movie that everyone is talking about. Go check out Beauty and the Beast at your local theater and cry over the nostalgia.

6) Go thrift shopping

Pull a Macklemore and go thrift shopping. You will feel like you are treating yourself to trendy and cool clothes without feeling like your are hurting your bank account. 

7) Avoid school work as much as you can

No matter where you are spending your spring break, do not spend too much time worrying about school work. Remember, the semester is almost done and spring break does not last forever.

Have a fun (AND SAFE) spring break, Her Campus ladies!

Lauryn Rosinski is a senior at Kent State University. She is currently studying public relations, and she is hoping to work in the public relations or event-planning fields when she graduates. She would also enjoy blogging or free lance writing in her spare time. At Kent State University, along with being a writer for Her Campus, she a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America, a campus tour guide and an employee at the Kent Plaza Theatre. Lauryn is incredibly excited and grateful to work with such talented people at Her Campus, and she looks forward to reaching out to Her Campus followers!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.