This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Kent State University always has something fun to do on campus, but sometimes it is fun to get off campus and try something new while get a break from school. Grab your friends because here are 7 fun things to check out in the Kent area.

1. Spend the day in Downtown Kent

If you have not already been to downtown Kent it is a must. It offers a wide range of restaurants, cute boutiques to shop at, a yoga studio, an art gallery and an art studio.

2. Go to the Hartville Flea Market

If you have a car and are willing to take a 20 minute drive, the Hartville Flea market is a place you could spend all day at, between the outdoor and indoor vendors, there is everything from jewelry, fresh fruits and vegetables, a meat department, clothes, antiques and even a cafeteria style restaurant.

3. Eat at Mikes Place

If you’re sick of campus food or don’t feel like cooking, Mike’s Place is the place to go. If you have never eaten here, you are really missing out. The restaurant offers an extensive menu with everything from burgers and fries to omelets and breakfast food and much more. The unique decorations also gives the place a cool atmosphere that is picture worthy.

4. Visit the May 4th Memorial

This is technically on campus, but this is most likely not something a student would typically take the time to do. Visiting the memorial is a good way to learn about Kent and open your eyes about our school’s history.

5. Check out the Kent Stage

This quaint old theatre in downtown Kent is home to concerts almost every weekend. It is close to campus and concerts are relatively inexpensive to attend. This theatre may not get much in the way of big names, but it’s a good way to experience new music and have a good time.

6. Go Shopping!

Kent has some amazing boutique stores. Figleaf, Gracey Lane, Carnaby Street Style and One Love Yoga and Boutique are just a few. But if you are sick of what Kent has to offer, Aurora Farms Premium Outlets are only 20 minutes away. This outdoor shopping center offers outlet shops of stores like Under Armor, North Face, Coach and many more.

7. Check out Sto-Kent Family Entertainment

Don’t let the word family turn you off, this place offers things like bowling, mini-golf, sand volleyball and even karaoke every Saturday night.

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.