photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

6 Ways to Spend Valentine’s Day When You Don’t Have an S.O.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Falling in love is great. But what about those of us who haven’t found our “perfect match,” yet? Us single gals know exactly what it’s like not having a significant other when it seems like everyone else around us is happily taken. Especially on Valentine’s Day, when all of this lovey dove romantic stuff is thrown in our faces left and right. Well, I say, who says you need to be dating someone to have a great Valentine’s Day, right? Instead of focusing on the negatives of your love life, focus on what you do have. Just because you aren’t dating, doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty of love in your life. These tips and tricks will help you do Valentine’s Day right!

1. Spend The Night In

Call all your single girlfriends. Order your favorite pizza and make some of your favorite snacks. Have all your friends bring their favorite wine or beer. Binge watch your favorite movies (I’m partial to Star Wars and Rocky, but The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 1 and 2 seem like the perfect flicks for a girls night in). What better time than Valentine’s Day to appreciate how lucky you are to have such great friends!

2. Treat Yourself

Buy whatever it is you’ve been eyeing for months, but always felt way too guilty to buy. Go catch that new movie you’ve been dying to see. Send yourself a bouquet of your favorite flowers. It’s Valentine’s Day. What the hell, right?

3. Girl’s Night Out

Put on that outfit that makes you feel most confident. Call that group of friends that always asks you to go out, knowing you’ll say no, because you have to study, or work early in the morning. Now, go to that trendy new bar you’ve been dying to check out.

4. Schedule a Spa Day

Sometimes, a little pampering is a necessity.What better day than Valentine’s Day to do it? Request off work and spend the day at a local spa. If money is tight, invite your girlfriends over, make your favorite cocktails, and have a spa day at home.

5. Volunteer For Your Favorite Charity

If you feel like spreading the love, what better way to do that than by giving back to the community? Get a few friends to come with you, or go on your own. Either way, spend your Valentine’s Day volunteering at your favorite local charity.

6. Do Absolutely Nothing

Lately, it seems like lazy days are few and far between. Sometimes, having no plans is nice. Sometimes, it’s okay to let your hair down and spend the day in your P.J.’s, binge-watching Netflix. No need to get fixed up or leave the house. You do you, sister!

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.