5 Things I Learned While Traveling Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Growing up, airports always seemed fascinating and terrifying at the same time. People are going back and forth with suitcases, running through the terminal so they don’t miss their flights. However, we could usually just hold onto our parents’ hand and let them lead the way. But what happens when we’re grown and it’s time to travel alone? Whether to study abroad or just for the sake of seeing the world, the day will come where you need to manage traveling alone. Before you freak out about getting lost in the maze that airports and foreign countries can be, take a look at these five tips that will make your trip go as smoothly as possible!

1. Your smart phone is your friend!

Traveling with technology nowadays is extremely easy with all of the apps made to help you know where to be. Most airlines have developed apps in which you can confirm your flight on, and it will tell you where you need to be and at what time. Why struggle with your boarding passes and flight itineraries when you can just check it on your phone? It’ll even update you if your flight gets delayed or if the gate is changed (which is honestly a life saver). Also, when it comes to traveling in other countries, shopping can be a bit confusing with prices being in different currencies. Luckily, if you simply search “100 (currency) in USD” on your iPhone, it will convert it there immediately! This will help making shopping at that cute boutique so much easier.

2. Make a special playlist for your journey.

Spending so many hours walking from place to place alone can get pretty boring, but not without a poppin’ playlist. Make a playlist for exploring! From ballads that you can imagine being in a dramatic movie scene, to songs that will perk your spirit up when your flight got delayed and you’re stuck in the airport for another. . . 3 hours. Some good tunes can save you from the most desperate situations and can even enhance your trip. Later on, maybe you’ll hear those songs and imagine being in those places again.

3. Know how to say “hello” and “thank you” in the language of the country you’re visiting.

English is widely spoken in many countries, so odds are, wherever you’re going you can probably get away with speaking just English. But what’s the fun in visiting a foreign country if you don’t learn anything while you’re there? Even if it’s just the basics, take a minute to find out how to say “hello” or “thank you” in French if you’re going to Paris, or in German if you’re in Amsterdam. The natives will surely appreciate the effort, even if the pronunciation isn’t perfect. And you can add it to your arsenal of random words you can say in a different language!

4. Plan your sleeping schedule…and caffeine consumption.

Nothing is worse than being on an eight hour flight and being wide awake. Your eyes are exhausted from watching whatever shows or movies they offer on the flight, and looking at a book gives you nausea. All you want to do is rest your eyes but you can’t because you accepted coffee from the flight attendant three hours ago. And had Starbucks at the airport an hour before that. While coffee seems like a good idea when you’re traveling all day, it can actually make your jet lag worse. To prevent this, try not to drink coffee when you know you have hours of sleep to catch up on. Calculate the time difference between home and your destination and make sure you’ll be physically able to function when you get there. What’s the use in getting to London if you’re going to pass out for at least 24 hours after arriving? Do future you a favor and pass up that PSL. . . or just get it decaf ;) 

5. Call your mom and let her know you’re safe.

Even if it’s 4 a.m. back home, text your mom or dad to let them know your flight has landed or that you’ve gotten to your destination. They are probably worried sick about you, and no news is just as bad as bad news. Save them the worry and shoot them a quick text every time you get on and off a plane or train. They’ll thank you for it later.

Bridgett Martinez is a sophomore Teaching English as a Second Language major with a Theatre Performance and Educatino minor at Kent State University. She enjoys writing, acting, and going home solely to play with her puppies. She plans on teaching English abroad and in the States, but would also love to teach theatre and music. She hopes to write and direct her own plays some day, as well as help children cultivate a love for theatre. 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.