This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Maybe this year you decided it was time to try your very first online class! Whether you wanted to free up some time in your schedule or avoid walking on campus in the dead of winter, whatever the case, online classes can be pretty easy if you stay on top of your work.

Pulling from my personal experience, I have come up with these five easy steps to help you get the “A” you deserve!

1.  Read the syllabus

This may seem like an unimportant step, but in reality this is where the answers to most of your questions lie. The syllabus is going to explain everything that you will be doing that semester, so you can start getting an idea of how much time you will be putting into this course.

2) Use a planner

If you already have a planner, then this should be a piece of cake for you. The best thing you can do to stay on top of your work is to take another look at the syllabus and start writing down the due dates of when assignments, quizzes and tests are due. When writing these dates down, make sure you include the time the professor will be closing the assignment.

P.S. You should also consider putting reminders on your phone.

3) Take notes

Though you are not actually attending a physical class, it is still a good idea to take notes in the online lectures if they are provided. If you have a text book and are assigned pages to read, it is also a good idea to take notes then. Include the page numbers that you read as well; this will make it easier to find the information you need for any tests or quizzes.

4) Talk to your professor

Your professor is always going to be there for you. Check the syllabus for their correct email. If you were to have any questions, they should be the first place you go. If you notice you are struggling with the material, you should reach out to them for studying tips.

5) Review five minutes every day

The final step I have to help you ace your online class would be to spend at least five minutes every day reviewing the material that your professor gives you. This way the material will become more familiar to you, and you won’t have to spend as much time going over it right before the test.

Hopefully after reading this you feel like you can tackle any online class that comes your way. There are so many benefits to taking online classes, and with these steps your semester will fly by.

Junior at Kent State University Fashion Merchandising major with a Fashion Media minor I've been writing for Her Campus for about a year now!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.