This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Have you ever gone to grab your dry shampoo in the morning and find out it is surprisingly empty? If you are like me, dry shampoo is one of your favorite hair products and something you use almost every day of your life. I have discovered several household items, almost everyone has that are perfect substitutes for dry shampoo. Here are five things that will work just as well as dry shampoo when you are in a serious pinch.

1. Baby Powder

The base of a lot of dry shampoos is baby powder which is why it works just as well or sometimes even better. A pulse of baby powder is it does not contain the extra chemicals found in dry shampoo. Therefore, baby powder will actually cause less of a buildup than dry shampoo. Sprinkle a little baby powder on your roots and then brush it through your hair and it will easily blend. 

2. Cocoa Powder

Cocoa powder is surprisingly very good at absorbing oils from hair and it also blend easily with darker hair colors. Another plus about cocoa powder is it will smell delicious all day.

3. Flour

Baking flour is used to absorb wet ingredients, which makes it great at absorbing oil from your hair after a few days without a wash. Put a little in your hand and gradually move it through your roots and it will quickly absorb any oil and blend into your hair. 

4. Cornstarch

Similar to flour, cornstarch is also known for being very absorbent and relatively easy to blend in with your hair. Just be careful not use too much because it can clump together.

5. Baking Soda

Baking soda is great for neutralizing the pH levels of your scalp that built-up oil can cause. Another plus is that baking soda also helps volumize unwashed hair.

Sarah Fogus

Kent State

Kent State University | Fashion Merchandising Major | Fashion Media Minor
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.