timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

25 Backpack Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

It’s no secret that college girls basically live out of their purses and bookbags! These perfect must-have item’s are small and cheap necessities that will make a life of traveling across campus super easy and extra cute!

1) S’Well Water Bottle – $45

These stainless steel water bottles have the perfect insulation to keep your beverage steaming hot in the winter months or ice cold in the spring and summer. They come in an array of sizes and designs, and are easy to clean!

2) Clif Bar- $1.79

These granola bars are delicious and super filling. With only 250 calories per bar, these snacks will hold you over inbetween classes and on late nights. Other flavors include Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut and many more. Warning: Do not let these bars start replacing meals! 

3) Feminine Products– Cost varies.

This is an obvious one. You may never know when “that time of the month” will just sneak up on you! If you want to be extra careful, you can even carry an extra pair of underwear!

4) Awake Chocolate– $1.66 

These chocolate bars are not just like any old candy. Each bar contains the amount of caffeine equivalent to one cup of coffee! These are perfect for giving you the energy to cope with boring classes and bad periods!

5) Cash– $$$$

A lot of girls prefer to carry a card, but you may encounter situations where you can only pay in cash, such as event parking or toll road payments. Carrying a couple of dollars on you won’t hurt and we know you’ll want to make it RAIN on someone (even if that is yourself)!

6) Portable Charger– $5-$50

When you cannot access an outlet and your phone is hanging on by 2%, you will definitely want one of these! Portable chargers come in many styles and colors. The more expensive ones charge devices with greater speed, but cheaper ones work well too!

7) Travel-Sized Advil- $4

You can never predict when stress headaches and cramps will arise. These small containers are discreet and can be placed in any bag. You can even keep one in your backpack and one in your dorm!

8) Mini Umbrella– $16

The weather in Ohio is wildly unpredictable! Always be prepared by carrying a mini umbrella with you. These fit easily in side pockets and on top of your books. The “totes” brand even gives you a covering for your wet umbrella when you are done with its use.

9) Altoids– $3

Always stay fresh with these tiny and refreshing mints. Mint also eases stomach pain and helps with coughing fits. It is a very universal item to carry with you!

10) 5-hour Energy– $4

When coffee is not accessible and you feel yourself crashing, you can grab a small bottle of 5-hour Energy. It works almost instantaneously to give you the boost of energy you may need for studying or finishing projects. Warning: It is not recommended to exceed to bottles a day.

11) Tide Pen– $3

Spills happen. Always be prepared to get stains out quickly at any time of the day!

12) Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer– $3

This product cleans and moisturizes! Two birds, am I right?

13) Bobby Pins– $1-$5

So easy to buy and so sad to lose! Always keep these handy for those bad hair days!

14) Baby Lips- $3

This works as a moisturizer and gives your lips a tint of color! Any lip balm with SPF is great to carry!

15) Kleenex Wipes– $2

Perfect for hands, face and feminine areas! This also cleans up small messes!

16) Portable Makeup Kit– $5-$15

Touch ups, Touch Ups and TOUCH UPS!

17) Mini Pepper Spray– $15

Hopefully you will not have to use this, but keep always keep this on your key ring just to be safe!

18) Mini First Aid Kit– $2

College comes with injuries… always be prepared for the scrapes and bruises along the way. 

19) Stainless Steel Lunch Carrier– $20

These are compact, environmentally friendly and keep your lunch or snacks fresh!

20) Sunglasses– Cost varies.

It may be super sunny, or you may need to hide from an ex! You can sport a $5 pair from H&M or your best pair of Ray Bans!

21) Colgate Wisps– $5

If you feel the need to brush your teeth and mints are not giving you the freshness you need, grab a Wisp! This works like a little toothbrush with a mint bead in the middle! No water required!

22) Waterless Venus Razor– $3

This product is one of my personal faves! Instead of water, the razor has a small sponge that squeezes out a light gel. On the reverse side, there is a single blade razor. This is perfect for that spot you missed or if you have a date right after class!

23) Mini Manicure Set– $2

Each of these tiny tools can be beneficial throughout your day! You may need to cut off a tag or remove a string from a sweater! You can bring nailpolish with you and do full manicures if it feels right!

24) Cute Sticky Notes– $3

Keep these on hand to write yourself reminders, mark pages in books or take last minute notes.

25) Framed Picture of Justin Timberlake– Priceless.

Carry for happiness and protection. It’s a necessity. It just is.

In love with jokes, comprehensive sex ed and Stephen Colbert-- (Stephen, call me!) Kent State University Class of 2020, Current Freelance Journo Follow @MaSerra8 on Twitter and email mariaserra@hercampus.com for PR pitches!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.