This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.
The 2018 Oscars are coming to ABC on Sunday, March 4, 2018, and this year marks the 90th anniversary of the Academy Awards. This year’s nominations were released January 23. There were some surprises but more importantly some real snubs. 

Snub: Tom Hanks (The Post

Tom Hanks plays Ben Bradlee in The Post. Hanks was nominated at this year’s Golden Globes for “Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama” but got no recognition at the Oscars for his role as the Washington Post editor. Hanks’ co-star, Meryl Streep, received her nomination for Best Actress at both the Oscars and Golden Globes this season. 

-Tom Hanks and Wife Rita Wilson at the 2018 Golden Globes

Surprise: Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out

Daniel Kaluuya has had an outstanding award season. Scoring his first nominations at the Academy Awards and the Golden Globes for best actor for his role as Chris Washington in the hit thriller Get Out.  Not many horror film stars get this kind of recognition. 

– Daniel Kaluuya as Chris Washington in “Get Out”

Snub: James Franco (The Disaster Artist

As controversial as our insane James Franco can be, he is one dang good actor. As Tommy Wiseau in The Disaster Artist, he does what he does best; he does weird, and he does weird well. Franco came home with the Golden Globe this year in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy category. And if that doesn’t guarantee you at least an Oscar nomination I don’t know what does. But here we are talking about how he was robbed in the Best Actor category. 

Dave and James Franco as Greg Sestero  and Tommy Wiseau in “The Disaster Artist”

Surprise: Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

Woody Harrelson plays the supporting actor in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.  Besides everyone else in this movie getting the recognition they deserve, Harrelson hasn’t seen the same praise except for this nomination at the Oscars! Harrelson plays Sheriff Bill Willoughby in Three Billboards Outside Edding, Missouri. 

– Woody Harrelson as Chief Bill Willoughby in “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Snub: Steven Spielberg (The Post

Steven Spielberg takes the reins as director once again in his movie The Post. When The Post first was screened by critics it received glorious raves. Sadly this award season it isn’t getting the same reviews. Spielberg was missing from this year’s Oscar nominees for Best Director. 

– Steven Spielberg and his leading actors in “The Post,” Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks

Surprise: Get Out

According to IMBbGet Out has scored itself a total of 99 awards and 178 nominations so far this award season. Hitting it big even at the Oscars which have a bad reputation for “whiting out” the nominations. Get Out has received four nominations at the Oscars including Best Motion Picture of the Year, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Best Achievement in Directing and Best Original Screenplay. 

– Movie poster for Jordan Peele’s “Get Out” 

Snub: Wonder Woman

Making $819 million worldwide at the box office and being the highest grossing superhero origin film, Wonder Woman was completely shut out of any Oscar nominations. Receiving not even an editing or visual effects nomination. Wonder Woman was easily the movie of the summer…and fall and yet failed to make an impact on the academy. 

– Movie poster for DC Comics’ “Wonder Woman”

Snub: The Greatest Showman

Getting the Golden Globe nominations for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy and winning Best Original Song – Motion Picture yet only receiving an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song. How can it be nominated for Best (freaking) Motion Picture and then get absolutely no Oscar nomination regarding the actual film? It seriously makes no sense to me at all. The Greatest Showman is considered a must-see anyway.  So who cares what the Academy thinks? Well…I guess I do…I am writing this article, aren’t I? 

– Movie poster for Michael Gracey’s “The Greatest Showman”

For a full list of the 2018 Academy Award nominees click here!

Jess Goodwin is a  senior at Kent State University, where she is the Senior Editor for the Her Campus Kent State chapter! She is a Journalism major who has enjoyed writing and telling stories her whole life. When she is not writing, Jess is dancing and choreographing. She has been dancing for over 15 years and choreographing for just about 3 years now! She has a passion for movies, books and entertainment, but she also has a love for activism and promoting love! Jess's socials are: Instagram: @jess.goodwin Twitter: @jessgoodwin13 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.