This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

1. Research the company and interviewer

It is important to know who you are attempting to work for, for many reasons. You must know what they are looking for in an employee and what the values of the company are in order to successfully interview for a position. It also does not hurt to find out who you are interviewing with and research them for further prep.

2. Be prepared for commonly asked questions

There are a few standard interview questions that come up in every interview, so rehearse your answers to those questions and your company research should give you a linking to the more company/industry tailored questions you may hear.

3. Clean up your online presence

In this digital age it should come as no surprise that a company can easily research you just as well as you can research them, so make a good on-line impression by making sure there are no offensive or obscene pictures or comments posted by you anywhere on the good old world wide web. Also, don’t think that you are exempt to this clean-house method because your page is private as there are ways around such obstacles. Use your online presence to your advantage by showcasing yourself in a positive light; displaying your creativity, accomplishments, and expertise in your field (a blog is a good tool to do so).

4. Dress professionally

Although it is important to be yourself on an interview, it is the best version of yourself that you want to present. Dress accordingly for the company you are applying for. For example, if the job is with Target as a cashier then khakis with a button up and flats will suffice, but if the job is with Vogue magazine you may want to wear heels with your most chic professional attire. However, a general rule is to be clean, neat, and well put together.

5. Bring a copy of your resume

The interviewer may or may not ask for your resume. Yet, it is good to be prepared in case for any reason they do not already have it with them.

6. Eye contact with a firm handshake

The combo of these two will say volumes. The interviewer will see right away that you are confident and personable. Just make sure to smile and to not apply to much force to the handshake.

[pagebreak]

7. Introduce yourself

Do not assume the interviewer knows your name already. They very well may know your name, just as well as they may have interviewed several other people before you and are now feeling kind of drained on names along with interviewees. Also, it is just good manners to introduce yourself.

8. Never walk past interviewer at the door

Do not simply welcome yourself into the interviewer’s office. Be patient and follow their lead.

9. Smile

Be pleasant, approachable, and appear happy to be there even if you are just nervous.

10. Make a connection

Creating a report and striking up a conversation will make you more likable and memorable overall. Talk about your credentials like they are a great story and make them into one.

11. Ask meaningful questions

Usually the interviewer will ask if you have any questions at the end of the interview, so make it a good one. Your question will tell the interviewer about you, your interest in the company, and your motives. What’s more, please avoid the “How did I do?” question, as it is awkward. If you must know, ask for feedback after they have notified you on their decision in order for personal growth.

12. Maintain professionalism (even when the interview is “over”)

Do not assume that the interview is over until you are out of sight and on your way home. Even if the interview is officially over, as long as you are in the sights of the interviewer, you are still forming an impression and the job is not yours just yet.

13. Write a Thank You Letter

A simple thank you to the interviewer for their time and consideration as well as an expression of excitement for the future job prospect will not only impress your interviewer, but it will also show them that you are motivated. However, do not hand the letter to them right after the meeting, mail it them right after your interview on a blank note card, handwritten for a personal touch.

[pagebreak]

Sources article is based on

Royse, M. (2013, Nov. 18). Retrieved from Ragan’s PR Daily: www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/bcd8824d-0bfd-4c5f-9e0e-e68a98a1a349.aspx

Stewart, C.J. & Cash, W.B. (2010). Interviewing; Principles and Practices (13th ed.). Boston, MA: Mc Graw Hill Higher Education.

Photo credit

http://www.onlineturkishlessons.com/skype-turkish-business-interview-training-lessons.html

Brianna is a junior communication studies major at Kean University. Her interests include style, interior design and home decor, human resources, and public relations. When Brianna is not writing for Her Campus you can find her being obsessed with Netflix and exploring new creative pursuits.
I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.