84th Academy Awards Red Carpet Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Days before the Academy Awards took place; workers were trying to have the red carpet perfectly set on the ground.  One of the workers said on Friday night to a news reporter that he wanted to make sure his job was well done.  And it was, because on February 26, 2012 at 5:00pm Eastern time, the 84th annual Academy Awards opened up with many Co-Hosts, fans and photographers all ready to greet the celebrities that night.

Some of those celebrities were Melissa McCarthy, Ellie Kemper, George Clooney, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, who was nominated for best supporting actress, Rooney Mara, who was also nominated but  for best actress, Maya Rudolph, Jessica Chastain, Tina Fey, Emma Stone, who was going to present that night, and many more. Of course, the Entertainment Channel of Hollywood was there with their main Co-Hosts, Giuliana Rancic, Ryan Seacrest and Kelly Osbourne, along with others.

Ryan had the chance to interview many celebrities. One of the celebrities he interviewed was Melissa McCarthy from “Bridesmaids” who had an Academy Award Nomination. He asked Melissa what her response would be if she won the Oscar. She simply stated that she wouldn’t really know what to say until she was on stage. When he asked about her clothing line, she confirmed to Ryan, that indeed she will be starting one. 

Also from “Bridesmaids,” Ellie Kemper was another actress he interviewed. He asked about how she felt kissing another girl, Wendy, in one of the scenes. She responded back with laughter and said she felt paranoid, before she kissed Wendy; because she had never done that before. Ellie, later on acknowledged his other question about her dress. She described her dress as rusty glittery.

Meanwhile a camera gave a glimpse of George Clooney giving his autograph to many fans.  Afterwards he was interviewed by Ryan Seacrest. Ryan questioned him about the film, “The Descendant.” His response was that it was great working with the director of the movie.

Another male actor he interviewed was Demian Bichir, who he first asked about his feelings toward his nomination. “I just feel overwhelmed and grateful,” answered Demian. Ryan also questioned him about how he felt putting on an extra 20 pounds for the character of the film he recently acted in. Demian confirmed that he had to do it because of the character and that it took him a year to gain those extra 20 pounds.

P. Diddy was another male celebrity Ryan interviewed about his Documentary film, “Undefeated,” along with the actors he chose to play the different roles. “I encourage people to watch the movie, it is great,” said P. Diddy.  Meanwhile one of the male actors when asked about what the film was about quoted, “Don’t let your circumstances beat you.” 

Later on, Jennifer Lopez was asked about presenting that night and the American Idol Show.  She seemed really excited about presenting and was smiling most of the time. “It’s tough seeing people go,” were a few of the words she said about the show.

Before speaking to Jennifer Lopez, Ryan had a quick interview with Sacha Baron Cohen who came to the red carpet dressed as a dictator to stay in character for his newest film “The Dictator.” Along with two women standing on his side, Sacha Baron Cohen was also carrying an urn with the face of the dead North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-il, painted on its side.  As he began to tell Ryan that the urn was “actually made in South Korea,” he poured the “ashes” inside onto Ryan’s tuxedo! Click here to watch and decide whether you think this was an accident or a total publicity stunt!

Antonio Bandera was also interviewed by Ryan Seacrest.  Ryan asked him about his character in the movie, “Puss in Boots.” “You know it has been ten years of making people laugh,” said Antonio laughing.

At last, live from the red carpet, three prediction polls were presented by AT&T wireless, one by one. People voted through text messages for Lead Actress Violet Davis (42%). While for Lead Actor, people voted for George Clooney (42%) and for Best Picture the film, “The Help.”

Check out oscar.com for the full list of winners and more details about the glamorous event!

Avani Kapur is a senior at Kean University studying Writing with a minor in Communication.  She is currently an intern at Kooba Bags in New York City.  She also contributes to the student newspaper at her school, The Tower. She loves to travel and just came back from a summer study abroad in gorgeous Florence.  Avani also loves shopping and has an obsession with cute heels, bags and leather jackets.  In her free time you can find her writing at Starbucks, cooking, or lounging on the couch with her adorable kitten, Fred, and her dog, Bella.  She is so excited to be part of the HerCampus team!